iTunes "Full"

I don't think you can fill iTunes. Maybe your iPod is full, in which case you may have to change from syncing all your songs to syncing playlists, so you don't have all your music/videos on it. That's done in rhe iTunes settings on tour computer.

Mornin' j26! It's coming up as "disc full" when I try to download anything.....I don't want to go deleting & losing stuff.

So maybe it is your computer disk that is full. If you look at 'My Computer', what does it say about your C: drive - how much space is used/free?

You might need to do some spring cleaning - empty the recycle bin for a start. What version of Windows are you using?

Sounds like a PC hard disk space issue. Time to do some house-keeping and remove stuff that shouldn't be there. Or buy an external hard drive and transfer stuff, like photos, there.

When you say 'download', do you mean to an ipod or to your computer?

If the former, you need to remove some data from the device so that you can transfer new data. You only have a set memory on any given device, so another option is to buy one with larger memory.

If it's the latter, then your hard drive has become full. If you don't have a lot of stuff that can be removed (or saved to disc and deleted from the HDD), then you (again) need to get more memory to save the information on. You can pick up external hard drives (attach to your computer via a USB cable) or upgrade the drive in your computer, but the external might give you more flexibility and be a lot less technical (e.g. you can do it yourself and won't need help).

Unless you delete the songs from the computer you will always have them, but your iPod is probably at capacity.

In your setting in iTunes you can set it to only sync certain playlists rather than all songs. iTunes will delete the non-synced songs from the player, but not the computer.

The upshot is you won't have all your songs on the player, but they'll still be on the computer.

If you download a lot of podcasts, I believe you can set iTunes to only have the ones you haven't listened to in the iPod (again they stay on the computer).

Or else you need to buy a bigger one :)

We'll need more information.

Itunes will store as much as your HD will allow it to, it is only limted by your storage capacity.

You'll need to tell us:

1. Is iTunes running of external or internal HD?
2. Have you checked they aren't full or nearly full?
3. Is you iPod connected to your computer when you donwload?
4. Is your iPod nearly full?
5. Are you downloading from iTunes or dragging into iTunes from another file?

Mornin' j26! It's coming up as "disc full" when I try to download anything.....I don't want to go deleting & losing stuff.

Do you mean download from the iTunes Store, or transfer it to your iPod.

The solution is buy a bigger disk.

FYI if you're downloading iTunes purchases and your disk is full, once you've cleared some space they won't automatically redownload. You have to "Report a problem" for each song/album and they will requeue them for you after a few hours.
Voice of experience here :p

Calle into my friendly Mac shop & told them the prob.They recommended a 320gb external hard drive (wireless) to get all my photos out & free up some space.D'ye think this'd do the trick? Thanks!

IF, and it's still an if for now, the problem is a lack of disc space, any form of additional storage space will help solve the problem (e.g. you'll have 320GB of extra storage space).

The question then becomes do you need a wireless external drive? (probably not if you use it with a single computer in a single location all the time. Maybe if you use it with various different laptops/computers and need the ability for it to be portable) Do you need 320GB of additional storage? (depending on how much downloading you do, you could very well need much larger or much smaller storage space). Even if the answer is 'yes' to both, I'd certainly suggest shopping around for the best deal and not simply going with your 'friendly mac shop'.

Given that you assumed this was an 'itunes' problem rather than a 'storage' problem, I'd suggest your first step is to (with the help of someone knowledgeable in computers so you don't delete anything important) give your existing hard drive a good clean up. You'd be surprised how much space you could free up with this alone (e.g. you could have a load of films [or other seldom used stuff] sitting on that hard drive that you can burn onto a disc and remove from the drive).

What Satanta said.

I'm not clear why you need a wireless drive either. Whats the reason.

How much data do you have to back up anyway. You should know this.

Danole, without answering some of the questions we've posted, we can't say whether this is the problem and therefore the solution. We don't even know if you're on a Mac.

A wireless external drive sounds a bit extreme considering USB ones of a much higher storage are relatively cheap these days.

Lastly, we don't even know if the storage is a problem, there are a number of reasons why this warning may be showing and it's better to eliminate the easier ones first before splashing out on an external drive (espescially at the say so of a sales rep).

As a matter of interest, how much did your friendly Mac store propose that you spend on this wireless 320GB drive?

70 Euros. I'm not sure how to go about finding out if the computer's full.I've a Mac with Windows XP on it.......

70 Euros. I'm not sure how to go about finding out if the computer's full.I've a Mac with Windows XP on it.......

Ah, there's your problem.

First question: why? Second question: how? Dual Boot where you pick which one when you boot up or Virtual (OS inside an OS)?

To find out what's going on, open up with Mac OS. Go to Apps/utilities/activity monitor.

This will show you as a chart how much memory you have and what's being used by running apps. It'll also tell you generally the memory size and how much is used by files.

If it's close to maxing out, then you need to clear some stuff out.

If you've loads of video and photos stored, then these are the easiest to clear out and back up on an external drive. It doesn't have to be wireless, it can be USB and there's much larger ones available too.

But you can just drag and drop them into the external drive and delete them from your hard drive.

Photos don't take up that much room, and in fairness neither does music unless you've a huge library.

Videos will though, so if you loads of videos, that could be the problem.

Back