Its officially winter - the fog light brigade are out

It's illegal to drive in non foggy conditions with your fog lights on period. Try driving in the UK with them on, and you will be pulled over and cautioned by a member of the constabulary for inconsiderate driving. :mad:

...My light don't dazzle...

How do you know?

Do all the drivers who come towards you tell you this or is it the lack of complaints from oncoming drivers that has you convinced?

And again, lights are not 'focused', lights are aligned or aimed!

Front spots/fog lights don't bother me, I've never been dazzled by them, it's the characters who drive with the rear fog lights on in pefect conditions that get's my blood boiling.

From a safety point of view, if I can see more road with my lights, I may save a life.

I can see more of the road if I turn my bright head lights on, however that doesn't mean I'm going to drive around with them on all the time. So my adivce is turn off your fog lights as it's illegal if there's no fog and start a thread about "spot" lights if you wish to carry on discussing them.

I have been reading this topic & havent given it too much thought until I actually noticed the amount of drivers on the M50 last night with front & rear fog lights on. I flashed my lights at one woman, who just pulled in to the slow lane and gave me a dirty look ( I drive a jeep so she'll probably be on here later ranting about some arrogant 4x4 driver, the usual). Some front fogs aren't too bad, I suspect they are marketed as fog lights but in actual fact are only mild spot lights that light up the road lower down. I have many sets of high power spots on my jeep but never use them on main roads. I also drive on unlit narrow roads & appreciated the fact that the more light you have the better, just reserve your spots until you get on to these roads.

Is the remake of the 'The Fog' any good ? I saw it on the DVD shelves recently.

I'd been drifting in and out of this thread for the last few days and would have to say it bugs the hell out of me seeing people driving with their fogs on unnecessarily. I have only fell like posting now though as I had to drive from Dublin to Longford and back last night and it was unbelievable how many people had their fog lights on and yes, they are ALL dazzling and I'm sure they're not all out of alignment. It was raining and the roads were wet bouncing the light straight into on-coming drivers eyes. Its also additionally blinding when you have to wear glasses.
Theres no need to have them on, if you feel you need to, then your regular dipped headlights need to be re-aligned. Have a bit of consideration for other road users.

vbmenu_register("postmenu_519576", true);
Frequent Poster

Re: Its officially winter - the fog light brigade are out
I have been reading this topic & havent given it too much thought until I actually noticed the amount of drivers on the M50 last night with front & rear fog lights on. I flashed my lights at one woman, who just pulled in to the slow lane and gave me a dirty look ( I drive a jeep so she'll probably be on here later ranting about some arrogant 4x4 driver, the usual). Some front fogs aren't too bad, I suspect they are marketed as fog lights but in actual fact are only mild spot lights that light up the road lower down. I have many sets of high power spots on my jeep but never use them on main roads. I also drive on unlit narrow roads & appreciated the fact that the more light you have the better, just reserve your spots until you get on to these roads.

Do you have Bullbars on your jeep ?

No I dont....may I ask why or is it going to start another 4x4 bashing session?!
I do have bullbars on a jeep I use for working/offroad/modifying

No I dont....may I ask why or is it going to start another 4x4 bashing session?!
I do have bullbars on a jeep I use for working/offroad/modifying

No no, I was just wondering why the need for bullbars ? Weren't they designed for collision with animals (and I don't mean Rats, Hedgehogs etc !) the likes of Kangaroo, Bison, Buffalo, Moose etc:confused: Experimental studies show that a collision with a pedestrian with bullbars in place is twice as damaging as with a jeep without them fitted. Prob a bit off topic so just ignore my rant !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd been drifting in and out of this thread for the last few days and would have to say it bugs the hell out of me seeing people driving with their fogs on unnecessarily. I have only fell like posting now though as I had to drive from Dublin to Longford and back last night and it was unbelievable how many people had their fog lights on and yes, they are ALL dazzling and I'm sure they're not all out of alignment. It was raining and the roads were wet bouncing the light straight into on-coming drivers eyes. Its also additionally blinding when you have to wear glasses.
Theres no need to have them on, if you feel you need to, then your regular dipped headlights need to be re-aligned. Have a bit of consideration for other road users.

For those fog light users who are still unconvinced, try a little test! On any road, lit or unlit, drive along with dipped headlights and no fogs, then switch the fogs on and try and notice any significant difference. If there is no real difference, why continue to annoy other road users with them? If there is a real difference, acknowledge that they must be so bright that they do cause difficulties for oncoming motorists (its like driving towards a car with 4 headlights on, not 2). We have covered the fact that it is illegal to use them when there is no fog, but lots of things are illegal and very little action is taken against, so it must become a conscious choice to use them or not. Consult your local garage or knowledgeable motor factor as to what are the best (brightest) bulbs you can use in your car, then have them properly aligned and keep them clean, and you should have all the light you need.

I decided on my way home tonight that I was going to post on AAM after passing dozens of cars with their front fog lights unnecessarily on. It looks like the discussion has already happened.

A quick read of the thread would suggest to me that there is general consensus that rear fogs lights are dangerous in all conditions but foggy ones, a lot of drivers find front fog lights at the least annoying and sometimes dazzling. Additionally, the use of flogs lights when not necessary is illegal but some choose to consider to use them because they "like them and don't get flashed to turn them off".

I, for one who is regularly dazzled by unnecessary front fogs lights, am going to to lobby those in a position to enforce or bring about enforcement of existing laws. In the meantime, should I start to flash those who have never been flashed to turn them off as this seems to be one argument the offenders have in persisting with their inconsiderate behaviour or is this just lowering one's self to their standards? So, to flash or not to flash, that is the question ...

I always drive with my fogs on and no-one I've met has ever flashed their lights at me to indicate they were being dazzled.

TBH I leave mine on cause I like them and I don't get flashed to turn them off.

Is flashing someone not illegal? I'm sure just as I was about to meet a car and it flashed me out of the blue, that sure as hell would dazzel me.

Back