iTrip

Yes they are still illegal here but you can buy one on ebay. I bought one last year for about €100.

They can be purchased off griffintechnology.com in the states and they will ship for 20 dollars. I think it works out cheaper than buying them over here.

If your thinking about purchasing the iTrip I would recommend that you go for the RoadTrip instead. It holds the iPod and charges it via the cigarette charger, which is top class as I found the iTrip drains the battery fairly quickly. Also I think it gets a better reception through the radio (less crackling) if the iPod is in a stationary position.

[broken link removed]

Last Updated: 22/12/2006 14:48
MP3 devices for drivers are legalised

Motorists in Ireland may now legally use FM transmitter devices to play music from their MP3 players through their car stereo systems, communications regulator Comreg said today.

The low-power, short range devices are already widely used by motorists in conjunction with music players, although they have been technically illegal up to now.

It is expected they will now be available in electronics shops, whereas previously they could only be sourced abroad or over the Internet.
Comreg said in September the move was in line with other European countries. "This is being done on a pan-European basis. Some countries are slightly ahead and some slightly behind," a spokesman said.

The devices give out a low-powered radio transmission that is picked up on a defined frequency on the car's radio. They have been illegal to date because they technically breach rules governing radio broadcasting and were considered to be akin to mini-pirate radio stations.

Comreg said the move to legalise them was "in response to popular demand" and because there was no real danger of interference with radio frequencies.

Dixons in Dublin said recently it was getting about 10 enquiries a day about the devices and would sell them once they became legal.

They are easily available for around €40 (the Belkin FM transmitter), and have been since before Xmas.

A friend of mine bought [broken link removed] (I've bought from them myself and can recommend them, no affiliation).

The transmitter in question can be used with any MP3 player, connects via headphone socket and has its own power (AAA battery)

Back