Italian campsite recommendations please

busymum

Heading to Northern Italy this summer for hols, have been looking at campsites in Lake Garda and Venice. La Bella Italia really appeals but availability is proving difficult for the time we will be there.

We are also looking at Eden and Butterfly or Ca savio near Venice. It looks like we may have to book 2 campsites if we want to stay in Bella Italia as its not available for some of the time. Would moving from one to another be messy or should we just pick somewhere that has availability for the duration of our stay.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this area as we have not been before. Has anyone dealt with any webite other than the usual Canv.s or Keyc.mp for booking. Anyone know of a hotel that would be suitable for a family of 5 for a night or 2 prior to booking into a campsite.

We will be renting a car and would plan to visit Venice, Verona, Milan.

I booked the Bella Italia for this June last week - I found it best to contact them directly - and yes availablity is very tight; but having spoken to people who have been there before, it seems like a very good deal... despite the fact we had to go for a 6 person apartment even though theirs just two of us!!

From my own research, stay clear of any sites not located on the south coast of the lake unless you plan to drive, as the bus services stop very early heading north (whereas the south coast is linked by rail to verona/milan and has more nightlife). I kmow you are renting a car, so this mightent be an issue for u... but for day trips to verona/milan it is much easier to walk out of campsite and hop on the very cheap and frequent train rather than spend a fortune driving into big cities and looking for parking.

I've been to garda last year, and cant wait to go back! Brilliant place!!! Themepark is excellent, food is fabulous, verona is magic and people are very friendly... oh and the lake is something special!!!

As for hotels... they are very expensive, even the rubbish ones, it might be worth staying in a (cheaper) hotel a few miles from the lake (in Verona/Brescia) for the first few nights and then going for bella therafter. Again, ring Bella or email them directly - dont bother with the tour companies/canvas/keycamp - they are dearer and are unable to tell you exact details - ring bella! They actually rang me after I made my booking to tell me to book an extra night to take advantage of a 7=5nt deal! Not often people ring you after a booking to convince you to hand over LESS money!

Well after some more searching i have now managed to get availability for the duration of our stay with Sib.u. and have booked it. I did Email Bella Italia directly but they did not have availability. They referred me to some other italian companies who did have the campsite for some of the time but i did not think their standard of mobile home was that great. we have been to france with Canv.s previously and were impressed with the Sib.u mobile homes on that site.

I also booked on the irish website having compared prices on the UK website there was no major difference in price with the exception of the damage waiver which was £15 or €28!!

I had been looking at Canv.s and Keyc.mp Irish V UK Websites and on the Canv.s ones there was almost €500 difference between the irish website and the euro equivalent price on the Uk website for the same holiday!! Definitely compare websites before booking.

Thanks for the advice

Back