Key Post It may be much cheaper than you think to break out of a fixed rate early...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow,that's brilliant. I just went into the ccpc site and it's showing that I'll save €109.10 per month, dropping from €1093 to €983.90.....why is their figure different?
Have a look at the results of this calculator, using both your current mortgage and the Haven mortgage.

I didn't say that your monthly mortgage payment would drop by €2,631/12 per month – I said that you would save approximately €2,631 in interest per year (€219.25 per month). That approximation is accurate over the next few years but it becomes less accurate the more the balance decreases.

The correct aspect to focus on is the amount of interest saved – the calculator shows that 3.25% versus 2.0% results in a saving of about €36,000 over the remainder of the mortgage (or €1,586 per year if you want to think of it like that).

Last edited:
Have a look at the results of this calculator, using both your current mortgage and the Haven mortgage.

I didn't say that your monthly mortgage payment would drop by €2,631/12 per month – I said that you would save approximately €2,631 in interest per year (€219.25 per month). That approximation is accurate over the next few years but it becomes less accurate the more the balance decreases.

The correct aspect to focus on is the amount of interest saved – the calculator shows that 3.25% versus 2.0% results in a saving of about €36,000 over the remainder of the mortgage.
Thanks. Still should save nearly €130 per month which is still great. The cashback should cover solicitor fees, break fee,valuation etc.
Seems like a no brainer to me.....or am I missing something?

Thanks. Still should save nearly €130 per month which is still great. The cashback should cover solicitor fees, break fee,valuation etc.
Seems like a no brainer to me.....or am I missing something?
It is a no brainer.

The only question is who to switch to. As a reminder, if you go with Haven, you'll be better off to the tune of €1,600 in four years' time (versus Avant). But Avant lets you fix for up to 7 years, so by going with Avant you'll have a longer period of the security of a 1.95% rate. Nobody knows where interest rates will be in four years.

It is a no brainer.

The only question is who to switch to. As a reminder, if you go with Haven, you'll be better off to the tune of €1,600 in four years' time (versus Avant). But Avant lets you fix for up to 7 years, so by going with Avant you'll have a longer period of the security of a 1.95% rate. Nobody knows where interest rates will be in four years.
Thanks for your help. Definitely making a few phone calls tomorrow and get the ball rolling.
One more thing that you might be able to advise me on. My wife is finishing up in her full time job this week. She's starting a new part time job( due to family circumstances) in 2 weeks. Obviously,this new job is a lower salary that what she is currently on......so should we get all paperwork together ASAP based on her current salary and send it in....or will they look for more payslips before drawdown in a few month's? How long do switchers take?

Thanks for your help. Definitely making a few phone calls tomorrow and get the ball rolling.
One more thing that you might be able to advise me on. My wife is finishing up in her full time job this week. She's starting a new part time job( due to family circumstances) in 2 weeks. Obviously,this new job is a lower salary that what she is currently on......so should we get all paperwork together ASAP based on her current salary and send it in....or will they look for more payslips before drawdown in a few month's? How long do switchers take?
That is potentially a big roadblock to switching. I don't know if lenders come looking for up-to-date payslips closer to the drawdown date. Maybe someone else here knows.

If they do, there are two issues:
  • Your mortgage balance must be less than 3.5 times your new joint salary
  • Your wife will be on probation. Most lenders won't lend to you until this period (usually six months) is over.

That is potentially a big roadblock to switching. I don't know if lenders come looking for up-to-date payslips closer to the drawdown date. Maybe someone else here knows.

If they do, there are two issues:
  • Your mortgage balance must be less than 3.5 times your new joint salary
  • Your wife will be on probation. Most lenders won't lend to you until this period (usually six months) is over.
Thanks,will look into it.
Plus,there might be one other issue. I'm 47,went with PTSB for mortgage as they go up to 70 years of age.....Do Haven go to 70? Or is it 65? Won't save as much per month if that's the case...

Thanks,will look into it.
Plus,there might be one other issue. I'm 47,went with PTSB for mortgage as they go up to 70 years of age.....Do Haven go to 70? Or is it 65? Won't save as much per month if that's the case...
You'll have to ask them.

Remember, if you take out a shorter mortgage, you will have a higher monthly repayment but you will pay less in interest over its lifetime. And interest – not the monthly repayment – is the only thing that matters when calculating at the savings. But you can't ignore the monthly repayment completely because if it's too high you'll be financially stretched.

You'll have to ask them.

Remember, if you take out a shorter mortgage, you will have a higher monthly repayment but you will pay less in interest over its lifetime. And interest – not the monthly repayment – is the only thing that matters when calculating at the savings. But you can't ignore the monthly repayment completely because if it's too high you'll be financially stretched.
Finally- does having loans go against switching mortgage? I've 2 loan's and she has one.........think this whole switching thing could be a pipe dream!!

Hi folks,

We're with Bank of Ireland on a 2.8% 5 yr fixed rate until Jul-23.
In Oct-22 after 5 years we're due an additional 1% cash back of €3.4k.
Would anyone be able to help me figure out if better to switch now, after the cashback lands in October, or simply wait until Jul-23?

When did you fix (month and year)? Jul-18
What is your monthly repayment? €1,580 (plus currently overpaying an additional 10%)
Outstanding balance? 300k
What is your property worth? 650k
What is your BER? B3

Many thanks

Last edited:
Ah, forgot that key bit! 2.8% 5 yr fixed Jul-18 -> Jul-23

thanks.
Your break fee should be around €2,300 (but call BOI and get it from them).

You could go for Haven's 4-year fixed green rate at 2.0% with €2,000 cashback. Or you could go for Avant's 1.95% rate, fixed for up to 7 years.

If you go with Haven, you'll be better off to the tune of about €1,500 in four years' time (versus going with Avant). But with Avant you can have the security of a 1.95% rate fixed for up to 7 years.

Switching to either Haven or Avant will save you about €300000*(2.8-2.0)*(17/12)/100 = €3,400 in interest over the next 17 months, so there is probably no point in hanging on for the extra 1% cashback from BOI. (Interest rates might have increased by that point.)

@Lex994 I've just realised that you said that the cashback is due in October of this year, not in July 2023. Switching now will save you about €1,600 in interest over the next 8 months. That is, by switching now instead of in October you'll give up potential extra savings of €1,800 (the 1% cashback minus 8 months at the higher, 2.8% rate).

But, for comparison, if Haven and Avant put up their rates by 0.2% before October (I'm not saying they will), you'll have missed out on savings of €600 every year for the next few years.

It's up to you to decide which approach you are more comfortable with (hoping that rates don't rise and switching after you get the cashback or locking in a low rate by switching now).

A friend of mine is in a similar situation with BOI. They wish to know whether they should move now to lock in the 1.95% < 60% LTV with Avant or in November after they get the cashback (about €2,000 I think)

When did you fix (month and year)? Nov 2017
What is your monthly repayment? about €900
Interest Rate? 3%
Outstanding balance? €163k
What is your property worth? €300k
Break fee? €unsure
What is your BER? E1

€163000*(3.0-1.95)*(9/12)/100 = €1283.63 Interest saved over the next 9 months.

If they start the process now and obtain Approval in Principle in a few months time, how long is this approval for? And will it be at the same rate?

If they start the process now and obtain Approval in Principle in a few months time, how long is this approval for? And will it be at the same rate?
I don't know how long Avant's Approval in Principle lasts for. With AIB I think it's 6 months.

But I also know that AIB will only let you have the interest rate that prevails when you get the loan offer, which could be a higher rate than the one that prevailed at the time you got AIP. That is, you can't "lock in" the rate at the time of AIP. I'd imagine Avant operate in the same way.

Edit: the break fee is currently about €625.

Last edited:
Hi,
Wondering if you guys might be able to help me calculate the fee for me. Have tried UB numerous times but struggling to get a reply or a straight answer.

5 year fixed in June 2019 @2.8%
€325,000.
€1227 monthly.

~€310,000 remaining. Fixed term runs until June 2024.

When did you fix (month and year)? Jun-19 (5 year)
What is your monthly repayment? €1,227
Outstanding balance? 310k
What is your property worth? 490k
What is your BER?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back