IT Contracting problem

jman0war

I could use some advice about this.
I answered an ad for a 3 month IT contract from a well known IT recruting crowd - ComputerF shall we call them.
They wanted me to start first thing the following Monday 5th March and I had to ring another crowd to setup an umbrella company.

It is now the 15th March and I am still waiting on the hardcopy of my contract. I've rang the recruiters several times inquiring have they sent it and have sent emails.
They don't return my calls nor reply.
Sometimes I can get a hold of the specific recruiter that gave me the contract and she just says she is looking to see if the hardcopy was actually sent out and that it was sent to the correct address etc.
The only thing I have is an email from the recruiters that shows a general overview of the contract. She called it a "contract preview" (3 month contract).

Now the company i'm placed with is telling me that my contract should be over at the end of this month - a one month contract!
That is not what I took on, it's not what my "contract preview" claims.
And i don't have the bloody hardcopy.

I don't want to ring the recruiters with the 3 month vs 1 month argument yet. Was really hoping to have my hardcopy in hand to see exactly what it says.

what do you think?

Who is the contract with - the recruiter or the company you do the work for? If it's the company, then it's quite possible the recruiter has not held onto a copy of it.

Did you receive the contract initially so you could read and sign it? Do you recall seeing the term written down in it?

Finally, do you think the company originally wanted someone for 3 months, or did the recruiter make a mistake in communicating this bit?

Who is the contract with - the recruiter or the company you do the work for? If it's the company, then it's quite possible the recruiter has not held onto a copy of it.
My contract is with the recruiter i believe
Did you receive the contract initially so you could read and sign it? Do you recall seeing the term written down in it?
No, this all occured on the Friday.
They needed me to start monday morning.
I'm still waiting on the contract
Finally, do you think the company originally wanted someone for 3 months, or did the recruiter make a mistake in communicating this bit?
Dunno.
I suspect the recruiter made the mistake.

Ah, if there's no signed contract, then you've got no agreement for 3 months. If they can be coaxed into giving you a copy, they'll have the (valid if not quite moral) opportunity to substitute 1 month as the term.

In any case, if the actual client only needs you for one month, then there's not much to be gained from putting pressure on them or the recruiter to make it go further. Chalk it up to experience, and beware of poor quality recruiters in future. There's no shortage of them, that's for sure!

Interesting tactics if they have lead you astray....I think I may have dealt with the same company before.Tell you one thing about the contract, then when you get there its something different... If you want to confirm feel free to PM me and we can compare notes....

If its the company I think it is (based on the thin veil of name disguise!) I have used them once and found them great to deal with, permanent position, not contract, maybe thats a difference.

i would advise just concentrating on the months work you have . Keep your eyes open for any other opportunities with that company . In the contract market building up contacts and good relationships with companies is key for getting repeat work and maybe getting to work directly for companies without going through an agency.
I am surprised you didnt have an interview first with the company where the work and the length of the work wouldnt have been discussed.

Unfortunately there is nothing to be gained by falling out with either the agency or the company , put it down to experience

If its the company I think it is (based on the thin veil of name disguise!) I have used them once and found them great to deal with.

Complete opposite for me personally and I know other employers and jobseekers of the same opinion!

Back