Issues with quick lodge ATM's

moneynow

Wondering if anyone can help me.
I was lodging money into a PTSB quick lodge ATM in branch (you know the orange machines). I had taken money out of another account and was a bit flustered as I had two sets of money to lodge into 2 different accounts. I placed the notes which were all 50's in the slot, and the money was taken by the machine. A message came up on the screen to say money is being withheld. This was a huge surprise to me as normally the machine counts the money, it informs you that X amount has been counted, and asks you do you want to deposit it to you account, or returned to you. If you decided to deposit to to your account, you get a receipt.
I headed to the service desk a bit worried as told the bank assistant what happened. She asked me how much I had lodged, I was not sure, and she said not to worry as it would have fallen into a drop box at the back of the machine. She told me she would check the box and call me. She phoned me and said she could not tell me what was in the box, but would lodge a set amount of money back into my account. When I got home I counted my money and realised that I was short, and went back to the branch the next day to speak to the bank assistant. She said that there was more money in the box than was lodged but a balance would need to be completed before they could lodge further money into my account. I got a call from the bank to say that a balance was completed on the machine, but they were not willing to discuss the outcome of the balance, but they are using CCTV to estimate how much I put into my account on that day. I asked to see the CCTV footage and was told that could not happen. The bank are acting very strange in relation to this incident. Has anyone any advise? Surely I should be entitled to know the balance of the machine.

Just a guess here but the balance remaining in the machine was likely a lot more than you had indicated, and so they are not willing to assign all of it to you as it's likely they will get further complaints as other customers realise their lodgements haven't hit their accounts or are for less than expected.

Thanks Leo for responding. Would the outcome of the balance not help them? I was told that the machine is balanced every week, and that drop box is checked daily. Only when the machine 'malfunctions', like what I experienced, that money goes into the drop box. They were able to go through the records for the machine, and able to identify the malfunction on my lodgement. I assume they could do the same for other customers, unless the machine was totally malfunctioning. They are not being transparent with me whether the machine was totally malfunctioning or not, not allowing anyone to check the CCTV footage of me lodging, or into what is happening, and I really feel aggrieved.

Again, I'm just guessing. But if there were multiple malfunctions over the day, they may end up with a large sum of money from those malfunctions. They would then depend on the affected customers telling them how much they lodged. If what the customers tell them doesn't tally with the amount they have... CCTV might give them some idea, but will unlikely to allow them tally multiple notes presented together.

You should request the CCTV footage under the Data Protection act. You can remind them that they have so far failed in their duty under this legislation. Complaints to the commission can be made here.

Back