Issues opening a deposit account with poor credit history

ElectronEng

I am the executor (with probate) of my late mother's estate which is coming close to being finalised. In about a month I will be in a position to distribute funds to the beneficiaries.

One of the beneficiaries had a request by her to open a deposit account (in order to lodge her portion of the estate) refused by her bank due to an issue with her ICB rating.

Obviously this is an issue for her as she cannot open an account to lodge her portion of the estate. I am waiting for her to obtain the ICB report in order to see what the issue is: she claims to not know what the original problem is.

Is their anything which I, as executor, can do to assist with the situation? For example, could I write to the bank explaining that a substantial cheque needs to be lodged?

Along similar lines, what other options are open to her?

Finally, I can understand a refusal of a loan, credit card or even a current account but a refusal for a deposit account application seems extreme: what sort of issue would raise such a significant flag to a bank?

Thanks.

Had she tried more than one bank? Odd for a bank to do a credit check on a deposit account. What about a credit union?

My suspicion is that there is some significant issue with her history at the bank in question which has been her bank for a while.

I would like her to avoid Credit Unions for this amount of money.

Is it not typical for a bank to do a credit check on a deposit account?

Unusual for a bank to refuse someone for a plain savings account on the back of a bad credit history. Depends what is on the record I suppose. She obviously has existing accounts with the bank. Why can't she lodge there? Or else try another bank.

Back