Issues claiming partial Home Carer's Tax Credit

David1234

Hi all

Myself and my wife are jointly assessed. My wife is taking a career break to look after the kids. She earned €9,500 in 2023.

I have submitted our income tax return for 2023 and did not receive any credit for the Home Carer's allowance. I calculated we were due €550

Per the revenue website- Full credit of €1,700 is due if income is under €7,200 and a partial refund is due on income up to €10,600.

Calculation is €1,700- (Annual Income - €7,200)/2 =€550 in our case.

On the income tax submission via myaccount I am getting the message below stating that if income if greater than €9,400 then the home carer's tax credit is not due. This is contradictory to their website. I'm fairly sure this is an error on the Revenue's end

1705335051596.png

I have put up a query on MyEnquiries (which can take up to 20 days to get a response) and tried calling the revenue with no joy.

Any suggestions on how to get resolved?

Many Thanks

Hi all

Myself and my wife are jointly assessed. My wife is taking a career break to look after the kids. She earned €9,500 in 2023.

I have submitted our income tax return for 2023 and did not receive any credit for the Home Carer's allowance. I calculated we were due €550

Per the revenue website- Full credit of €1,700 is due if income is under €7,200 and a partial refund is due on income up to €10,600.

Calculation is €1,700- (Annual Income - €7,200)/2 =€550 in our case.

On the income tax submission via myaccount I am getting the message below stating that if income if greater than €9,400 then the home carer's tax credit is not due. This is contradictory to their website. I'm fairly sure this is an error on the Revenue's end

View attachment 8305

I have put up a query on MyEnquiries (which can take up to 20 days to get a response) and tried calling the revenue with no joy.

Any suggestions on how to get resolved?

Many Thanks
The 10,600 euro figure is only applicable for the tax year 2024 onwards. You are filing a tax return for 2023, so the 2023 value of 9400 euro would be correct.

Are you sure about this? I claimed both in 2022 with no issue. I can't find this on the link you gave....problem could well be between my ears
Of course you can claim both, but you'll only be allocated one or the other. Whichever is the most beneficial to you.

if you're filing form 11 it'll only allocate that credit if it's more beneficial than the increased standard rate, the form works it out for you.

Back