Issue with updated credit card, declined in some cases

SCurry

Hi folks,

Has anyone had trouble where their Mastercard has expired and upon trying to use the replacement they run into trouble. Specifically my old Ulsterbank Mastercard had an expiry of 11/16. I was issued a new one as per normal with a from of 10/16 to 11/19. I have used the new one successfully but also in some cases (online) I have had it declined.

I tried buying off one site yesterday and the new card was declined, I tried using the old one and also declined. I bought off Amazon on Monday! I tried using PayPal last night and also declined and when I try and add the new card it says its not accepted. J

Just before anyone asks there is €300 on the card with a limit of €2900.

Don't you think you're first port of call should be Ulster bank helpline?

I got new bank cards from Ulster this week. Not credit cards I might add. It said to use them first in a shop but I just went to a bank machine and withdrew a low amount and that seems to activate them. There were specific instructions on the document they sent the cards with, did you follow those instructions. And there's no way you should use the old card if you've activated teh new one so now you might have triggered something in their systems and they are blocking you.

Yea I will ring them just put it out there as I was on AAM. I did use the card to buy fuel initially to activate it, then used it successfully on Amazon. It was thereafter the trouble started...a first world problem admittedly, thanks

Spoke to UB and they had put a stop on it alright. I tried to buy 2 items to the value of about €300 from a UK site and for some reason their systems flagged it as suspicious, surprised given I had used the same site last month for a similar purchase. Possibly a bit over zealous perhaps but better safe than sorry I suppose. I imagine it's a huge problem for the banks.

Not just UB. I renewed my car tax online and then bought a dress online from a US website on BOI declined it, same reason. Also BOI, my mam was in Australia, prenotified she was going abroad, but she was trying to buy some floors. Which I admit is an odd holiday purchase, but was to do up my grandmother's bedroom. BOI declined, I'm joint cardholder so could authorise from here even though not at POS.

Not just UB. I renewed my car tax online and then bought a dress online from a US website on BOI declined it, same reason. Also BOI, my mam was in Australia, prenotified she was going abroad, but she was trying to buy some floors. Which I admit is an odd holiday purchase, but was to do up my grandmother's bedroom. BOI declined, I'm joint cardholder so could authorise from here even though not at POS.

Back