Issue with Revenue re Rent Relief Refund

T

Trixy

Hi all,

I have an issue with the Revenue regarding a claim for rent relief I submitted this year for rent paid in 2011, don't know if anyone can help but here goes...

I've rented for the last 6 years or so and every year I make a claim for rent relief. So in early 2011, I put in a claim for rent paid in 2010 and likewise for each year previous to that. Every year I have received a refund to my bank account, it has come down in the last couple of years but the refund I received last year (for 2010) was approx €320.

Earlier this year I sent in my claim for for rent paid in 2011. After a few months I heard nothing back from the Revenue, so I emailed them to check if they received the form. They confirmed to me that my form had been received but as I had submitted a rent relief form in May 2011 (note, this was for rent paid in 2010), I had already received the maximum Rent Tax Credit in each tax year and an amended tax credit cert was issued to me on 10/05/11 reflecting this credit.

I then rang the Revenue to query this, as this had not happened in the previous years had submitted claims for rent relief refunds, but the agent I spoke to just said that was the way it was done last year and nothing could be done about it now. She also advised that I have already had the rent relief tax credit for 2012 applied to my tax certificate for 2012, even though I have not applied for this yet as I don't send in my claims after the end of each calendar year.

After the phone call, I checked all of my payslips for 2011 and in my June 2011 salary, I received approximately €80 more than in previous months' pay, however for the remainder of the year my monthly salary was actually a few cents less than it had been for the first 5 months of 2011. My pay has not changed in the last 5 years and I can't see where I received the benefit of the rent relief being added to my tax free allowance as I only received an extra €80 in June 2011. I don't even know if this was due to the rent relief being added to my credits. I would much rather have received the refund into my bank account and I was relying on getting the money this year.

I have since written to the Revenue with several questions regarding the above but the letter I received back failed to answer them properly or not at all. Does anyone know if what the Revenue have done re my 2011 relief is correct or can I take this further as I can't see where I have received any benefit from having the relief added to my tax free allowance in 2011? Also, is it normal for the Revenue to start automatically adding credits for rent relief, a change from the previous years, when I haven't told them that I continued to rent the following year? Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Have you put your P60 details into an online calculator to check.
Income taxed at 20% to €32,800 41% above. €1650 & €1650 tax credits and then see if you have been granted the rent credit.

Back