Issue with new car prior to delivery

Folks,

Just to give a little more info. The car in question is an Audi A4 Avant. I met with my solicitor and he has taken the sales contract away to read over it. The garage owner was in contact with me to say that they cannot allow any further discount on the car as Revenue will start to ask questions of them for selling a car below cost. He states that registering a car prior to delivery is standard practice. The solicitor will be back in contact tomorrow with an opinion.

The garage owner was in contact with me to say that they cannot allow any further discount on the car as Revenue will start to ask questions of them for selling a car below cost.

This is the biggest amount of horse manure I have ever heard. Call him tomorrow and tell him to take very long walk off a very short pier.

I have a fair idea of the garage in question and nothing surprises me with these bunch of clowns. If it is the same garage, I stated to them that I would prefer to walk than deal with them ever again. I could write a book on their sharp practice.

The garage owner was in contact with me to say that they cannot allow any further discount on the car as Revenue will start to ask questions of them for selling a car below cost.
Maybe you could save the poor man some time by contacting Revenue yourself and seeing what they have to say about it? It would be nice to put his mind at rest and tell them Revenue are ok with it!

But this is not the car the OP ordered. And another point depending on the type of car it is and the price, the Revenue might start crawling over him if and when a second car is introduced into the equation.

I was responding to JoeBallatin's comments re. registering a car ... I wasn't specifically referring to the OP's situation.

All new cars have to be registered in the name of the buyer before handover by the garage. I was just questioning Joe's statement about the legality of it.

If, as he says, it's illegal then a lot of garages were/are guilty of doing it.

Just a quick update folks.

Picked up the car on Saturday morning. My solicitor met with the garage owner and with a representative of Audi Ireland on Friday afternoon and brokered an agreement. The deal is that Audi would meet half the cost and the garage the other half. Audi have also agreed to cover the cost of 2 years servicing. My solicitor told me that all it took was a phone call to Audi Ireland and they had a meeting arranged for the next day. All in all a satisfasctory outcome.

Congratulations. Well worth your while digging your heels in. Amazing that some retailers out there act in such an idiotic fashion.

Picked up the car on Saturday morning. My solicitor met with the garage owner and with a representative of Audi Ireland on Friday afternoon and brokered an agreement.

Congrats on your new Audi . Hope you dont have to pay extra :rolleyes: on future servicing with this dealer.

Congrats. I have heard of this happening a number of times. People are stuck so pay the extra.

I like the idea of your solicitor brokering for 2 third parties...

How much were your fees?

Just a quick update folks.

Picked up the car on Saturday morning. My solicitor met with the garage owner and with a representative of Audi Ireland on Friday afternoon and brokered an agreement. The deal is that Audi would meet half the cost and the garage the other half. Audi have also agreed to cover the cost of 2 years servicing. My solicitor told me that all it took was a phone call to Audi Ireland and they had a meeting arranged for the next day. All in all a satisfasctory outcome.

On a slightly related topic, my BIL's car (Audi A6) packed in the day after we rolled off the boat in France last summer. He had just had a major service and some repairs in - I think - Foster motor company before we left for the holiday so should not have run into any problems. Between trying to get hold of an Audi garage, arranging to book in for repairs, the language issue, and being stuck with no car, he lost his cool.

Although he was able to get a hire car under his insurance he still had the car to get home which wouldn't start. He rang Foster motors who got on to Audi Ireland who contacted the nearest French Audi garage and organised them to tow the car 5 hours back to Roscoff; Irish Ferries then towed the car onto the boat and they were met in Rosslare by Audi which towed the car back to Dublin and into Fosters. All costs covered by Audi Ireland.

Credit where it's due.

A.

Back