Iseq - Why across board change

P

phoenix_n

Noticed that the iseq is down 113 today . What is the general reason for the majority of shares to fall in price on any day. Is this general profit taking or fund mangers changing their porfolios ?

every market and every sector is down today in europe, asia was bad overnight too - the simple explanation is profit taking

I read something about a restriction put on the market in Thailand to limit foreign voting rights to 50% in particular sectors, which was believed to be one factor

I read something about a restriction put on the market in Thailand to limit foreign voting rights to 50% in particular sectors, which was believed to be one factor

Wasn't this a couple of days/weeks ago? And didn't the Thai government back down in the end?

Expectations for ECB rate rises are creeping up and dampening enthusiasm. Risk appetite worldwide is decreasing and investors are moving towards defensive stocks.

Hi, I would suggest that markets often move together .ie all up or all down. That is a general trend that is often evident eg. If markets are falling in europe, a weak opening on New York (at 2.30pm our time) will often widen the loss in European afternoon trading.
IF Dow closes down overnight, Europe may open weaker the next day.

In the last two days in Dublin, there has been a general sell-off , or possibly profit taking, after a very strong advance into christmas and early New Year. Fund managers banking some gains, I would guess.

Specific shares can and will buck this trend for stock specific reasons, and I can think of three shares that have advanced in recent days against the general trend.

The big question is: is the market going to buy or sell going forward? The jury is out.
Markets (ISEQ) have had four years of 25pc+ pa gains. One should/can expect setbacks/corrections as sentiment changes eg the ISEq lost 8pc last May in a bout of nervousness - but then rose steadily to January 7.

What happens next? Nobody knows, but Goldilocks (world economic growth, strong corporate profits, US overcoming the housing slump, EU growth picking up etc) is still running around smiling, although a big shock (Japanese earthquake) could change sentiment overnight.

The Thai Government have removed capital restrictions on inward equity investments, but restrictions on debt investments remain.

Explained...stock market movement follows a 'random walk' pattern, in other words the position of an index at any one time is a stochastic process (watch the movie Pi for a very interesting insight to this!).

Back