Is this quote for home modernisation work reasonable?

bess

Hi all,
I'd appreciate any input on the quote below for new kitchen, extending current toilet into garage and new bathroom- various other works.
6800 seems steep to me for downstairs bathroom... ? It's a typical 3 bed (extended into 5 bed) semi detached home in built during 1960

Supply and fit PVC finish kitchen with units to ceiling including worktops,handles and sink/tap and all other materials required. No electrical appliances included 1 €3,500.00

Plumbing and electrical cost for replacing kitchen. Approx price only 1 €700.00

Re-slab kitchen ceiling/plaster finish and install spotlights. 1 €1,100.00

New laminate flooring in Hallway/living room and kitchen supplied and fitted 1 €1,350.00

Supply and fit new paint grade skirting and architrave in areas newly floored. 1 €1,200.00

Supply and fit 3no full glass panel doors including doors,frames,handles and hinges. 1 €1,200.00

Remove brick fireplace and plaster wall Add additional sockets and tv point on other side of room Re-design hearth under stove 1850

Redesign downstairs toilet to accommodate walk in shower to include knocking of wall to increase floor area in garage. Level floor and build new stud wall Tiling of floor and wall area in shower All plumbing All electrical All materials including electric shower/toilet/vanity unit/glass shower screen €6,800.00

It is impossible to answer this in full. Here is a go at some of the items.

New laminate flooring in Hallway/living room and kitchen supplied and fitted 1 €1,350.00

This should cost about €10/€15 per sq m to fit. The materials cost depends on the quality of the laminate anything from €5 to €50 a sq m.

Check yourself what laminate is being used and how much it costs.

Supply and fit new paint grade skirting and architrave in areas newly floored. 1 €1,200.00

That seems crazy. How many meters are involved. Paint grade means that the stuff is ready for painting, i.e. not perfectly finished and needs to be painted.

Supply and fit 3no full glass panel doors including doors,frames,handles and hinges. 1 €1,200.00

Again you can price all these things for your self. To hang 3 doors is about a days work for 2 people.

If you have drawings you can get a Quantity Surveyor to price the job for you. Best few hundred euro you can spend on a construction job. It would generally be considered overkill on a small job like this, but it might be worth it even for peace of mind.

Around €17k from what I see. An awful lot of that would seem to be for labour, if you're going for run of the mill product. Pricey, in my opinion.

Back