Is this conveyancing fee reasonable?

JamesN

Hi

I got quoted

€3,000 professional fee before VAT
+ approximately 1050 in registration and search fees.

I'm not looking for a cut price solicitor but the fee seems towards the far end of the scale to me.

It's for a family transfer of a detached house in a rural area. The vendors solicitor have been very good in getting back to us on anything.

Unfortunately I did not confirm the fee before engaging the solicitor so I don't have much space now as we are close to contracts. I engaged him as he did work previously for us and it was satisfactory.

Service has been ok up to now, but not amazing either.

Maybe the fee is reasonable? Any thoughts?

its outrageously expensive

1500 + vat is the average , i bought and sold two different properties in the past eighteen months using two different solicitors

one charged a grand + vat + outlay , the second one charged 1300 + vat + outlay

I think the fee it outrageous too. Especially if the propery was originally purchased via this solicitor. People should always get a quote from their solicitor before they do a transaction and the solicitor is obliged to give a quote in writing which doesn't appear to have happened here and is very bad practise.

€4000 legal fees to purchase a home is really really expensive. Can you itemise the charges on the invoice ?

Thanks all

I challenged the solicitor on this and he has agreed to an approximate 20% deduction in the fees and he will include drawing of wills.

When I asked what was the basis they came up with to charge people he said it’s on a case by case basis!

I’m glad I challenged it and got something back however I would accept I am also to blame for the lack of clarity and my naivety.

I still think he is expensive but I’m too far in now, lesson learned.

My sister was charged 4k for conveyancing in 2006 by a solicitor who was a relation of mine. She asked for an estimated bill and was told she'd be "looked after" and not to worry. As I had recommended him, I felt obliged to do something for her so bought her some kitchen appliances.
Needless to say we never used him again, and sometime subsequently he dissolved his practice.

Back