Is this barrier to new homes viewing lawful ?

bmount

DNG have this in an email notification about some new homes launching soon:

"In order to make an appointment we will require a copy of your proof of funds or mortgage approval, prior to confirming an appointment".

Is this legal and can I make a complaint to IPAV about such practices ?

thanks.

It’s sounds like common sense to me.

If my business was selling property, I’d design a system that would marginalise the ‘horse and hoofers’...

Just wondering how this works if you are planning to make an offer subject to sale of your existing home? I assume in these times agents will prioritise cash or FTB.

It's perfectly legal. Just because something is for sale, there is no obligation on the vendor or their agents to allow everyone to view it. Given the difficulty many are facing getting mortgage approval, it makes complete sense to limit viewings to those in a position to buy it.

Just wondering how this works if you are planning to make an offer subject to sale of your existing home? I assume in these times agents will prioritise cash or FTB.

Depends on the area, but many agents will not accept offers that are subject to the sale of your current home. Myself and others on here have dealt with that be rearranging finance approval on the basis of retaining and letting the current home. When the time comes and you've closed the deal on the new property, you can then sell the existing one, but that approach will affect the total amount you can borrow and you will need sufficient cash reserves to pay both mortgages for a time.

Given they have limited viewings and the cost to clean after each viewing, they are wanting only serious potential buyers viewing. If you aren't going in to nose about but are interested, where's the issue?

New house so the price is the price.

Pre Covid I don't think any agents were getting cleaners in between viewings and I'm only guessing but don't think they would get cleaners now between viewings either.

Pre Covid I don't think any agents were getting cleaners in between viewings and I'm only guessing but don't think they would get cleaners now between viewings either.

Their working practices [broken link removed] doesn't mention any cleaning, but they'll no longer get away with a couple of 30 minute open viewing slots.

During recent weeks I had attended viewings with different agents, some insisting on sanitiser, some allowing multiple viewers with social distancing, and one of whom complained about having to have extended times for viewing! They absolutely were not cleaning between viewers.

Thanks all.

We re not going in to "nose about", we dont even know if we re interested until given an open opportunity to see it. We wouldn't kick off selling of current home and mortgage approval activity until we are interested in something. Then we would act quickly.

@Gordon Gekko never heard of the term "horse and hoofers" but thanks anyway.

@bmount you are thinking logically, but alas the system isn't that logical. I've faced similar questions from estate agents albeit when attempting to make an offer.

My advice, AIB (online) will give you an Approval in Principle letter. It takes about 20 minutes, you just need to input your salary's and outgoings and advice you'll sell your current property. This letter should suffice for any agents seeking evidence that you can buy the property.

I think the agents are just concerned that mortgage approval takes time and issues may arise. I completely understand when it comes to making an offer stage but agree it is OTT for simply viewing.

It's perfectly legal. Just because something is for sale, there is no obligation on the vendor or their agents to allow everyone to view it.

Is this true? They certainly could not refuse to allow someone to see it on the basis that they were a traveller.

While this does not fall within the specific forms of discrimination, it could be called a filter to discriminate against certain sectors of society.

Is this legal and can I make a complaint to IPAV about such practices ?

thanks.

[broken link removed]

The IPAV guidelines published last week specifically request this under Level 4 & 5 restrictions so yes it is legal and no you have no grounds for a complaint.

As someone who has been on the house hunt for the last 2/3 months, I have found the majority of agents are not looking for proof of funds for viewings. Some are, but most are not. That is my experience looking in the Dublin/Kildare areas.

There is nothing stopping you reaching Approval in Principal from a lender while still owning your existing home. It's what we have done.

Our timeline was get AIP, list house for sale, look for a house, go sale agreed on our home - still trying to nail down the last step of finding the right house to buy. (Have been some ups and downs on that side of things)

Thanks I'm aware I can do that, I just dont want to,just for a viewing.

@tracer900 great thank you for that, didnt realise this was related to the restrictions, I didnt find this information on google search....

Is this true? They certainly could not refuse to allow someone to see it on the basis that they were a traveller.

While this does not fall within the specific forms of discrimination, it could be called a filter to discriminate against certain sectors of society.

Good point on the protected grounds, but limiting restricted viewing slots to only those who can afford the property is a reasonable measure.

didnt realise this was related to the restrictions, I didnt find this information on google search...

Its use has been expanded during current restrictions but prior to that it was common for high-end properties to eliminate tyre kickers.

That is a straw man argument. No one is suggesting that a traveller is refused entry to view the house.

Does anyone know if you can view houses/properties outside of 5km during level 5 retrictions?

Any of the guidance I've seen seems to indicate that the answer is yes provided the information has been provided beforehand but I could be wrong. Estate agents appear to have differing views on it.

Does anyone know if you can view houses/properties outside of 5km during level 5 retrictions?

Any of the guidance I've seen seems to indicate that the answer is yes provided the information has been provided beforehand but I could be wrong. Estate agents appear to have differing views on it.

Not called out in the list.

Back