Is this a scam? Room in dublin

settlement

Hi all,

I went on daft and messaged quite a few rentals for a room to share. The next day I got an email from a woman who lives abroad and says she can offer me a room. Asked me about myself etc. The title of the email was an address in dublin. I don't actually remember messaging about that address but i easily could have as I sent quite a few enquiries. It's also in the area of dublin i was enquiring about.

I sent her some info about me and asked could i view it. She said no viewing possible as she lives abroad but she will be back in the new year to give me the keys if I want to stay there. It's a pretty good but not amazing deal. There are pictures of the apartment. She then asked for my passport and full name etc. She has not asked for any money. She said if I'm happy with it her lawyer will draft a contract which we will sign.

I think there is a good chance this is legit. but also sending my passport etc makes me a little uncomfortable. and also the inability to see the apartment but I guess this might just be features of a very tight rental market

I presume the contract will include a request for your bank account details, so then she will have your passport, bank account details and a copy of your signature as well. So in other words, this sounds like a scam

you could always do a reverse image search on Google to see if it comes up with something

I presume the contract will include a request for your bank account details, so then she will have your passport, bank account details and a copy of your signature as well. So in other words, this sounds like a scam

you could always do a reverse image search on Google to see if it comes up with something
Good point. I haven't seen a contract yet but you're right, it would have to include that.

Also of concern, which I forgot to point out, the actual address given seems wrong, as when I google it, it looks like its a hotel there now rather than apartments, but I can't be sure as its a multi storied building.

I did as you suggested and nothing came up on reverse image search. I think you're right and I won't be proceeding. It's scary how some of these scans could trick you, especially for older folks.

Report it to the Garda online here although I'm not sure how effective this would be as it is just an email address they've used.

Also report it to Daft. They may have some way of confirming if it's legit. or not.

If she has sent the same message to lots of people it would be another red flag.

Brendan

This is definitely a scam.

You will be asked for a deposit to secure the place at some point and if you send it, that money will be gone forever.

thanks all. i wonder what tricks they have to get my details. presumably one of the ads i responded to stole my email and then responded but it must have been advertised as a different property as i dont remember the pics. re reporting to garda online as per link, dont think i can as no theft took place. there should be a scam reporting website

One of the ads you responded to is fraudulent. The pics and email address are different so that you cannot identify the offending ad and have it shut down. You should still report this scam attempt to DAFT as they may be able to identify the ad via other means.

re reporting to garda online as per link, dont think i can as no theft took place. there should be a scam reporting website
I think it's just a poorly worded page, but I think they just mean don't report a theft if you have already reported it. Attempted fraud is a crime and should be reported.

Back