Is there such a thing as a TV detector?

No - it's definitely one license per household! See :
If I have two television sets in my home do I need licences for them both?

If the equipment capable of receiving a television signal (i.e., a television set, a personal computer), etc. is held in a household (i.e., apartment, flat, house), then one television licence will cover multiple pieces of equipment. In other words, if you have a television set in your living room and kitchen, one television licence covers both sets.

Ahhhhh I see I wonder did this change.
In my local Post Office they have a TV set with aertel and local ads etc on.
I wonder if they have a TV license? :D

yea, think it's one per tv set... also if you have a holiday home in the country, and have a second set there, u need a licence for that too.... even though u can only watch one at a time !! you have to love the government, great money making tricks....

scuby said:
yea, think it's one per tv set... also if you have a holiday home in the country, and have a second set there, u need a licence for that too.... even though u can only watch one at a time !! you have to love the government, great money making tricks....

ClubMan posted the link it's one per address not per set or owner!

scuby said:
yea, think it's one per tv set...
No - one per household.
also if you have a holiday home in the country, and have a second set there, u need a licence for that too....
Yes - it's a second household so needs a second license. You could avoid this by not keeping a TV in the holiday home and bringing the one from your PPR when you need it.
even though u can only watch one at a time !! you have to love the government, great money making tricks....
Anybody can avoid the TV license charge by getting rid of their TV(s).

Hi Clubman,

are you sure you could bring the tv from your PPR to the holiday home and it would be still covered by you PPR License. When i was renting i had to get a new TV license for my New property even though i had only the one TV and just moved rental address. i just presumed this is what you did and that the licenese only applied to the address on the licence?

Cheers,
Sully.

You're probably correct - the license is linked to the address and not the TV itself so strictly a second license is required for the holiday home even if the TV from the PPR is brought along only when needed.

Back