Is there room for neogitation in rental prices

bambam

Need to rent a house, 6- 12 mth lease. There seems to be great disparity between the rental prices of the houses on offer v size and quality. eg standard 4 bed in mid sized estate at 2800 v 5 bed on small road at 2900? Both houses within 2 minutes of each other.

So is it like buying a house, do you pitch lower than the asking price, are rents also inflated to allow for neogiation?

Thanks

It's an open market, so feel free to bid at whatever level you like. People renting properties are generally flexible in terms of price. Let me put it this way...if I was a landlord I'd rather take a 5% cut in price over a year than leave the property vacant for a couple of months. Good luck with your search.

I was renting a place earlier this year.

Every non-Rent Allowance person tried to negotiate the price down a bit.

I rented a house earlier this year and negotiated the rent. There is no rule to say you can't! Also, just look on daft rental properties are increasing fast in most areas. Plenty of choice!

Also, just look on daft rental properties are increasing fast in most areas.

Exactly, so if they don't want to negotiate, move on - covering the landlords mortgage or making him a profit is not the tenants problem.

I sometimes rent properties on behalf of someone else and I would be open to negotiation from the tenant. However, don't say it straightaway - if you are happy with the property let them know what a good tenant you would be (have references at the ready) and then say you would be happy to sign a lease but name an amount a bit lower. Most landlords would rather take a little less in rent for the sake of having the property let out immediately.

I sometimes rent properties on behalf of someone else and I would be open to negotiation from the tenant. However, don't say it straightaway - if you are happy with the property let them know what a good tenant you would be (have references at the ready) and then say you would be happy to sign a lease but name an amount a bit lower. Most landlords would rather take a little less in rent for the sake of having the property let out immediately.

I agree with DeeFox. My parents have been landlords for years. They regularly negotiate on rent in order to secure a tenant they are happy with.

Speaking from my experience, 2 years ago a landlord would nearly be insulted if you asked to lower the rents. The case today is different, very different, there are about 3 times as many apartments/houses for rent out there now and not nearly as many people willing to rent. landlords have bigger mortgages on empty apartments and they are scared about not getting someone to rent (especially reliable people). Look at daft.ie and take any popular, nice area of dublin and you will see that some apartments have been up there for months. I've seen apartments drop in rent anywhere from 10% to 20%. Who wants to rent a 2 bed or 2000+ a month, it's crazy to think there are many people willing to take up these offers. i've talked also with some agents trying to rent for landlords and they have spoken about how resistant landlords are in dropping rents, to there own detriment, leaving apartments empty for up to 6 months before eventually getting someone and not before having to eventually drop the price.
Once the banks come knocking at the landlords door you will start to see prices come down, not sure when this will happen but I'm guessing sooner rather than later. A smarter landlord will be open to offers and if trends continue ( [broken link removed] ) then the rental market will see prices come down sharply.

Definitely a buyer's market not only for property but also for rental. Anyone who is going to be paying the rent themselves and who is not on any kind of rent allowance is in a very strong position to negotiate.
If I were in your position, I would put an ad on Daft or other websites seeking a property in your ideal location, and offering to sign a one year contract. See what offers you get.

Back