Is there no equivalent to the Irish widow's pension in the UK?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I was surprised to hear this.

In Ireland if someone dies, their widow can claim a pension based on their husband's PRSI.

They will get the OAP based on their husband's PRSI.

But there is no equivalent in the UK.

There is no widow's pension.

And the State Pension is based on the person's own National Insurance Record.

Your partner’s National Insurance record and your State Pension

The new State Pension is based on your own National Insurance record.

Its been my understanding that the New State Pension, introduced for new claimants from 6th April 2016 has no surviving partner’s pension. This is a higher pension that its predecessor called the Basic State Pension. The new version requires 35 years of NICs for the maximum payout compared with 30 for the earlier version. There may be other social welfare payments eg they have something called pension credit which I think is for those on a low income.

Having said that the information on this website may contradict that understanding.

Last edited:
They will get the OAP based on their husband's PRSI.
This isn't accurate. A widow\er can only get a Contributory State Pension (COAP) based on their own records.

The Widow\er's Contributory Pension can be based on either spouse's record.

Hi gipimann

Thanks for clarifying.

So if a 25 year old dies, her husband gets the Widower's pension until he is 66?

After that, it stops?

Brendan

At age 66, the husband can apply for Contributory State Pension (COAP).

If he doesn't qualify for COAP (e.g., civil servant paying lower rate PRSI), he can remain on the widower's pension. The maximum rate of payment is the same for both pensions.

If he qualifies for a COAP rate lower than what he gets on widower's pension, he can remain on the widower's pension. The department will pay whichever is more advantageous to the customer.

All assuming the husband does not remarry or cohabit, in which case he must surrender the widower's pension.

Back