Is there any point to the "Prices, Bargains and Sales alerts" forum?

Ceist Beag

I'm not being smart here but I genuinely don't see the point of this forum as it really is just a watered down version of the Boards.ie Bargain Alerts and Boards.ie Couponing forums. Is there much point having a forum that simply copies and pastes from another forum? And absolutely no offence intended here Smashbox as I realise you are trying to help people here, but I just think it's taking up a lot of your time to do this whilst it would be much easier to simply direct people over to Boards.ie instead.

Ceist, I'm not actually a member of boards.

If someone tells me about an offer, I google for the coupon and post it here. I also see posts on Twitter and Facebook and share the links here too. I do have friends who are members and who would tell me about various offers but I never signed up.

I'm also not a member of boards.ie, so I wouldn't agree that this is a waste of time, if you feel your bargain alerts are up to date don't read any of the postings. Thanks for your work Smashbox.

But you don't need to be a member of boards.ie to see the posts on the links I sent. My point is simply that I've not seen one post in this forum that isn't already on those other forum and the boards one has a lot more alerts than here. If this forum was offering something different to boards I would see the point of it but as I said I haven't see anything different here.

Maybe if all the coupons were posted in one thread, rather than opening up a new thread for every coupon?

Thanks Gillarosa.

Ceist, I don't visit boards. I come here. I took a while off where I didn't visit any site at all, but came back here recently and have started to post stuff.

If boards is better, then go there for their bargain alerts! Some people obviously do use this forum, you just might not be one of them.

At a personal level I have no interest in these coupon promotions and would have no problem if they were discontinued on AAM with a link to boards.ie or where ever.

I am however very interested in the mechanics of household budgeting and believe that household budgeting cant be done well unless one has a very good idea of the prevailing unit prices for staples such as milk, bread, cereal, meat, etc. This is why I asked for prices to be included in the forum heading last December.

Perhaps we could consider removing the words Bargains/Sales Alert and replace with something like "Prices for Budgeting".

To give an example my children horse through the weetabix. Weetabix are normally about 10c each in Dunnes/Tesco but in Lidle over the last few weeks they are selling at 6c each. These offers are cyclical and I think we can provide genuine information by bring in this to the attention of AAM posters.

aj

PS I dont mean to denegrade Smashboxes work but I would like to see the Prices Forum move away from coupon deals and deal with real pricing and household budgeting.

i saved 6 Euro superquinn delivery charge the other day thanks to Smashbox

i dont use any other boards so i would hate to see this go

Good points ajapale, that would be an angle to take alright. I'm not looking to shut down this forum btw, am more looking to get discussion going on how it can be made more relevant to the theme of AskAboutMoney and its users. I would certainly be willing to help smashbox (and others) by posting items here that I see elsewhere if I felt it was in the interest of the members, but I'm also conscious of the overhead on mods to keep forums going so I just want to see what people want to see here to make it more relevant to this site as opposed to any other forum.

I think the post should be left as it is - it does what it says on the tin.
There are other places on AAM that cater well for household budgeting.

Thanks to those who contribute to this thread. Those who are not interested in coupons/bargains/sales don't have to read it.

Some people have wayy wayyy to much time on their hands,there is plenty of stuff I have no interest in on AAM...

I don't feel that because I have no interest in it that it should be removed.

I don't feel an need to post a thread calling for its removal.

I just don't read it.

It really is that simple.

Keep up the good work Smashbox.

I also like this section I must admit and now that Smashy is back it's all the more interesting. I WILL say however that I think Smashbox should have just one thread on which all coupons updates can be added - we can then just look up the thread and see what was added for the day, rather then individual threads.

Keep up the good work :D

And if you come across any 'anti aging' cream samples etc feel free to post it!....... For the mother like! :eek:

Back