Is There An Annual Means Test For NC Pension ?

eirman

A friend of mine who is almost 12 months into receiving the Non-Contributory State Pension,
received a standard means test form. Is this a standard annual practice ?

In response to the question "Do you have any capital - Bank Accounts/Savings ..."
The answer must be YES (as almost everyone has something in their bank account).

Then you have to provide statements from the last 3 months for all accounts.

Most people don't have the last 3 months bank statements to hand
and would rarely have currents credit union statements to hand.

I presume that they will they accept print-outs.

The Non-Contributory State Pension is means-tested. That means that if your “means” change at any stage in the future (say you won the Lotto), you would not be entitled to continue to claim the Pension.

Not working - No Change of means now or in the future.
The original questions ... Is this a standard annual practice ?

.... I presume that they will they accept print-outs.

Not working - No Change of means now or in the future.
The original questions ... Is this a standard annual practice ?

.... I presume that they will they accept print-outs.

No. It's random spot checking. Can happen never, sometimes, occasionally or frequently. They are improving the frequency of reviewing means tests across all allowances because of criticism from the C&AG and PAC.

Unless they have specified that originals are required, sending them printouts of statements should suffice; if they want something more, they'll come back to him.

Last edited:
The first €20k of bank deposits has no impact on a non contributory state pension.

See here.

General advice is that it probably makes sense to out any cash windfall into a new car or home improvements.

No. It's random spot checking. Can happen never, sometimes, occasionally or frequently. They are improving the frequency of reviewing means tests across all allowances because of criticism from the C&AG and PAC.

Unless they have specified that originals are required, sending them printouts of statements should suffice; if they want something more, they'll come back to him.

Thank you very much Shirzman for the perfect on-topic reply.

I just rang them and it's not an annual event.
Printouts are accepted provided the name and address is showing.

Back