Is there a set time u have to be in a permanent job before asking for a payrise?

Margie

Is there any set time that you have to be in a permanent position of employment before you can ask for a payrise (not the government payrise).

Let's say for example your working in administration and getting the going wage but you're doing the work of a higher position.

Re: Payrise?

Is there any set time that you have to be in a permanent position of employment before you can ask for a payrise
No. You can ask for a payrise any time you like, getting one on the other hand is a different matter.

Does the company have an annual (performance) review? Or an annual pay review?

Seeing as you're currently working at a "higher position" you might be able to say while you were happy to agree a certain wage for the original role, the fact that you have increased responsibilities/pressure/commitments etc you feel that you should be rewarded accordingly.

Simply asking for a pay rise a short time into a role with no justification wouldn't go down too well.

There has never been an annual performance or pay review. I am in this particular position a few years now.

Love the way you worded your suggestion as to what I could say. Very precise to where I'm coming from.

Well the unfortunate thing is thet last time I "asked" about something money related it didn't go down well at all. This is putting me off.

Sounds like they are implementing a definite policy of making people feel uncomfortable about raising these issues in order to try to keep their costs down. It's up to you whether you play their game or play your own game.

That's exactly it. They're penny wise and pound foolish. I think if you look after your staff and provide various perks etc. this leads to staff motivation and a sense of job satisfaction.

The problem is that I love my job and the people I work with but at the end of the week we get our wages which is fine but there's no conditions of employment, no pension no paid maternity leave (not even the top-up) no set holidays, no overtime etc. etc.

At what time of year should you get the government payrise? We've been told that we'll get 2% in March and another two towards the end of the year. Does this sound right? Should you not get the 4% in January?

Update: I finally bit the bullet and asked for the payrise. i would just like opinions on what's a reasonable offer in terms of a percentage increase on current wages?

Work out what value you feel you bring/add to the company and then try to work out what a reasonable salary increase. The more specific you can be about stuff that you have done that has had a direct impact on the performance of the company the better.

Clubman,

What advice can you give if what I was offered was a complete insult? I feel I am in limbo at the moment.

What advice can you give if what I was offered was a complete insult?
What do you mean? What sort of amount (percentage wise) and why do you consider it an insult? If you are not happy with the salary offered by your current job and cannot negotiate better based on what you believe you are bringing to the organization then perhaps you should look for a new job with better/more suitable conditions?

Margie,
Well done for bitting the bullet - but now it is important to give solid reasons to a support your request!
Most recruitement websites (Irishjobs.ie, recruitireland.ie etc) would have standard pay scales or salary surveys. If you can find a position that matches yours it might give you an indicator.
Alternatively look up jobs to the level of work that you have been doing to understand what the market offers. Or contact recruitement companies and say that you might be interested in looking elsewhere as you feel your now paid accoringly - they will tell you what you can expect in the market.

Good luck.

I am in my current full-time permanent position of employment for four years and have never received nor asked for a pay rise. In the four years I have taken on extra responsibility and have never been rewarded in my pay. The experience that i have built up means that i am a key member of staff. I was told that i would be given a 2.5% payrise which I am very disappointed with because I have yet to receive the government payrise up to date.

What can I do in the current economic climate. I know I need to look for a job with better prospects i.e. a pension. But the jobs are not out there. How do i negotiate further or should i just leave it. quite upset really.

you've basically taken a pay cut over the past 4 years with inflation reducing your spending power.

is the company you work for a member of isme, sfa or any of the other business organisations that signed up to the various partnership agreements? if so they are going against what they've signed up for.

unfortunately your only option is to threaten to leave which they may well accept, you should actively seek other employment opportunities and if you're offered another job at a higher income, take it. unfortunately the way things are going that may prove difficult. it's too late now but you should have pushed for the pay raise during the 'good times' as it's easier for them to turn you down now.

I know I need to look for a job with better prospects i.e. a pension. But the jobs are not out there.

Have you actually looked though? Really looked?

It is easy to say that the jobs are not out there, but you only want one job, and it is probably out there now. What you need to do is get out there and go look for it.

Taking control of your situation will also make you feel a whole lot better.

If I had a euro for every cv i've sent out recently! obviously I wish to find employment in my area of expertise otherwise the last four years were a waste. i'm not going to be hasty either, i will stay in my currrent job until something right turns up.

Back