Is there a policy like VHI PMI 4416 but with higher excess and lower cost

tkc

I'm 50, my wife is 44, and we have two children, aged 12 and 14, and we live in Co. Clare, so any policy has to cover the Galway Clinic.

Our policy VHI PMI 4416 is renewing on February 1st at a cost of €2,916. I am trying to find similar cover but with higher excesses to save on the policy cost. I have discounted a number of policies that exclude cover in Galway Clinic, and/or the two hospitals in Ennis, and one in Croom. I can find no VHI policy and the following ones with Laya/Irish Life:

(i) Laya Flex 500 Explore (€2,125 or €1,912 if there is 10% offer). This has higher excesses and no cover in Blackrock or Mater for some procedures, but cover is there for The Beacon.
(ii) Laya Control 450 Connect (€2,328). Higher excesses but similiar cover.
(iii) Laya Essential Health 300 (€2,260). Higher excesses, but again limited cover for Blackrock/Mater.
(iv) Irish Life Benefit Plan (€2,156) Higher excesses, €2,000 co-payments for some procedures and Blackrock/Mater not covered for all procedures.

Some procedures on these policies are covered by "10 or 12 hospitals" so i would need to ensure Galway Clinic is included.

My questions are:
(i) Are there any VHI policies similiar to (i) to (iv) above that would cover my needs?
(ii) Does the Beacon do all the procedures that Mater and Blackrock cover? What is the risk in excluding these in my policy.
(iii) Are there any other policies I should consider.

Thanks in advance for any help.

tkc,

Firstly, the 10 or 12 hospitals include Galway Clinic for orthopaedic hip and knee replacement surgery, confirmed in the following link.
https://www.layahealthcare.ie/orthopaedic/

Secondly, there is a special offer for children with Laya, whereby you pay for the 1st child and the rest of the children are free.
The only thing is that at least one adult must be on any Laya plan. Children cannot be insured on their own with Laya without an adult on
the policy. The following 2 plans are part of the offer;

1. Laya Essential Health 300; price 234pa(total price for all children) all public, private and Beacon hospital covered, private excess 300 x 2 max
for all admissions per year, day case excess 125 per procedure.

2. Laya Flex 125 Explore; price 343pa( total price for all children) all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered; private/hi-tech excess 125
per admission or 50 per day case procedure.

3. VHI One + Plan; price 209pa per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission or
day case procedure. No excess to pay in any public hospital.

4. VHI One Plan Starter; price 115pa per child; all childrens hospitals are public, all public hospitals covered on this plan.

[broken link removed]

Note; Children can be insured on their own with VHI, an adult is just named on the policy but just the children are insured.

Adult Options;
1. VHI PMI 40 15; price 1045pa; all public, private and some hi-tech hospital covered, private excess 75 per admission and
50 excess per day case procedure.

2. VHI PMI 37 13; price 1075pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 100 per admission and per day case procedure.

3. Laya Control 300 Create; price 1079pa; all public, private(including private room fully covered) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech
excess 300 per admission, day case excess 125 per procedure. Good day to day cover, 1 euro excess, refund of 80 per consultant visit, 30 per
gp visit etc.

4. Laya Simply Connect; price 1100pa; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 150 x 2 max per year for all
admissions, day case excess 50 per procedure. Good day to day cover included, 50% refund for gp visits, consultants, dental, optical, etc.

[broken link removed]

You don't have to be on the same plan as your children, and if you want you can all be on different plans to suit your individual medical needs.
The above suggestions are in addition to your own list of options.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks very much Snowyb, that's extremely helpful. Could you advise on one more thing please.

Does the Beacon do all the procedures that Mater and Blackrock cover? What is the risk in excluding these two in my policy.

tkc,

I would be happy to have a plan with just Beacon hi-tech hospital cover as well as all public and private.
I think the hi-tech part relates to the latest hi-tech scanning equipment and probably some advanced medical procedures.
I wouldn't know the full ins and outs of the details.

For people based in Dublin, some of the consultants have a public hospital contract(say for example St Vincents hospital, Elm Park) and a
private contract(say Blackrock Clinic). So, the patient would have the option to go to the Blackrock Clinic in that situation, to get an earlier date
for surgery. Likewise with Mater Private.

Regarding medical procedures, the only situation I came across personally, was in Mater Private when visiting a family member. Another patient
in the ward came up from Kerry for 'spinal fusion surgery' that wasn't available in Kerry or the waiting was too long.

Another use for the hi-tech hospitals, is for children. They all offer a range of paediatric surgery/treatment as an alternative option if the public
list is too long in the childrens hospitals. Beacon offer all of this if required.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks very much Snowyb, all this will help me to finalise the policy choice. Best regards, tkc

Back