Is there a law preventing use of a camerphone in a hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bridget54

is there a law preventing use of a camerphone in a hospital. i want to take a photo of my mother in hospital as she is currently a patient, no one else would be in the picture.

Re: Photos in hospital

im sure you wont have to go to jail if they see you taking the picture.

is there a law preventing use of a camerphone in a hospital. i want to take a photo of my mother in hospital as she is currently a patient, no one else would be in the picture.

No , there wouldn't be a law against taking a photo.

However there areas in a hospital where phones are not allowed because they interfere with medical equipment.

If there is any type (or near) and insensitive care unit then it's a definite no no.

im sure you wont have to go to jail if they see you taking the picture.

they actually tried to take my phone off me, and wanted to look throught my photos, i refused.

There is a right to privacy.

As far as I am aware one can only take a photo in a public place. This does not include a hospital ward.

Perhaps I am wrong,

As long as no one else is in the photo, I can't imagine the photo itself is a problem, perhaps the fact it is with a phone could be.

But I'm sensing you took the photo as evidence that her care was sub-optimal and that is where their concerns lie....well tough IMHO.

Maybe you should have asked the nurse/matron on duty?

As for the phone interfering with equiptment, many phones have a way to turn off all call/messaging services and just run on what they call in-flight, ie access to the programs without the signal.

theres no medical equipment being used in that section, just a plain hospital single room, the staff use there mobiles for personal calls in the same area, and there were no signs up, so i didnt think a problem would, arise.

why do you want to take a picture of your mother in hospital? Why not use a camera if they object to the phone?

What exactly were they objecting to? The photo of your mother, or the room surrounding your mother, or potentially what may else have been in the photo?

i have questioned the treatment given by doctors, the actual photo of her was to prove her considerable deterioration over the last number of wks, since going in to hospital. they were objecting to me takin a photo of her, my own mother, and nothing else was in view in the picture only her.

was accused of having an actual camera, they seem to be objecting to both.

I wonder if your mother was able to give her consent to be photographed?
If you are her next of kin and I wanted to take a photograph of her, and she was unfit to give consent...I'd have to ask you.
So I don't see the problem really other than they are afraid of what you have photographed?

There is a right to privacy.

As far as I am aware one can only take a photo in a public place. This does not include a hospital ward.

Perhaps I am wrong,

Considering they've used hidden cameras' to make TV programs undercover in hospital I doubt that to be true.

From experience of having issues with hospital, I'd have no problems with standing my ground and taking photos, even filming video's inside a hospital where it didn't infringe on anyone elses privacy. Some of the dirty conditions I've experienced were horrendous, and yet the staff would deny there was a problem. One close relative was moved into isolation because they'd got MRSA, and the room they were moved in was disgusting. There was even dirty plates in it from previous patients and my relative couldn't use the nearest toliet because it was never clean and often had blood on it. We cleaned the room ourselves, and all complants feel on deaf ears. I'm sure if we'd kept evidence of these experience we would have been able to sue the hospital.

Even if you didn't want to sue I think someone taking notes and photos of poor conditions, and other issue is very likely to get these people off their complacent behinds, and things should improve.

Still make my blood boil to think of it.

I took a picture of my mother when she was in hospital so that she could see her scar after an operation and she was right by the nurses station. No objections were made. They obviously are afraid that you're going to report them. They do not have any right to view your pictures or ask you for your phone. How did they know you took the picture if she was in a single room?

I would think this is the problem, that the nurses are afraid of you 'unearthing' evidence of some kind of perhaps uncleanliness, neglect, etc.

There is no law against you taking a picture of your mother, solely in the photograph. I would just take it and be more discreet about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back