Is there a black hole posing as your washing machine?

horusd

So a dilemma. I put several pairs of socks into the washing machine and it gives birth to several odd pairs, plus a few go AWOL altogether. I peer wistfully deep into the washing machine drum and it could be a black hole. Where do the bloody socks go to I wonder scratching me head?

Is the washing machine really a link to the twilight zone, could the bland unnoticed machine really be a cosmic eye peering into your kitchen waiting to transport your socks to an alternative universe, is it sitting there watching, waiting right now?

Okay, I'll stop taking de XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...;)

Keep the odd socks seperate & see how many turn up
eventually....Quite a % do not.:confused:

It's quite simple. The quantum theory of laundry ([broken link removed]) states that the quantity of socks in a load can be expressed as a decreasing exponential function of time which is analogous to radioactive decay: Nt =N0*exp(-pt)

The socks never actually disappear. Quite simply, at the time of disturbance or stopping of the machine they have a wave function that puts them temporarily in the washing system or completely converts them to lint.

I'd keep taking the XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, frankly.

Two simple solutions:
1) don't bother wearing socks
2) throw out all your socks and buy a lifetime supply of identical socks

Believe it or not, I have a specific drawer for unpaired socks. Every now and then, I take them all out to find that they've paired up again.
I believe the ones that went to the "other side" come back while I'm at work and crawl up onto the drawer unnoticed. The downside is that they instruct their partners to disappear on the next load.
There must be a parallel universe of socks that need a break from smelly trainers :p

Two simple solutions:
1) don't bother wearing socks
2) throw out all your socks and buy a lifetime supply of identical socks

I know this is sad but I bought about 20 pairs of my good black socks in NY a few years ago and this is no longer a problem. (Might only have 10 pairs now mind you, but they still match)

It's quite simple. The quantum theory of laundry ([broken link removed]) states that the quantity of socks in a load can be expressed as a decreasing exponential function of time which is analogous to radioactive decay: Nt =N0*exp(-pt)

The socks never actually disappear. Quite simply, at the time of disturbance or stopping of the machine they have a wave function that puts them temporarily in the washing system or completely converts them to lint.

Hmm when anyone with the title of "Doctor" starts tellin ye it's simple and quotes quantum theory you just know its not...I'll up the dose.:D

Do you have a dog?? One of ours is obsessed by socks, a pair go in to the laundry basket, 1 comes out of the wash, the other (if I bother to look) can be found either in his dog shed or the garden!

The socks thing, it's an eternal mystery!
P..

I did the "buy all black socks" thing a while back but I still have lots of unmatched socks. My theory is that the dye in the socks leeches out, but at different times. So you end up with black, semi black, off grey and so on. I am the sad person who now matches up the stitching on my socks rather than the colour. But Hey! I am willing to offer matches to anyone who wants to contact me........

Look logically there is no black hole. I very rarely lose socks in the laundry and it's just because of my system.
First you have to empty the laundry basket and was everything in it. Then when you hang the clothes out to dry hang the pairs of socks beside each other and when they are dry roll the pair up together.
Socks don't get lost in the washing machine, They get lost at the bottom of the laundry basket, or between the machine and the line or between the line and the drawer.

So a dilemma. I put several pairs of socks into the washing machine and it gives birth to several odd pairs, plus a few go AWOL altogether. I peer wistfully deep into the washing machine drum and it could be a black hole. Where do the bloody socks go to I wonder scratching me head?

Is the washing machine really a link to the twilight zone, could the bland unnoticed machine really be a cosmic eye peering into your kitchen waiting to transport your socks to an alternative universe, is it sitting there watching, waiting right now?

Okay, I'll stop taking de XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...;)

"... the cat's washing me as well as herself, and afterwards she's loading the dishwasher and washing machine. She's still trying to work out how to operate the microwave and oven, and she's not great on flippin a burger, but she's workin on it."

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=153441

Looks like you will either have to get a new washing machine or retrain your cat :D

"... the cat's washing me as well as herself, and afterwards she's loading the dishwasher and washing machine. She's still trying to work out how to operate the microwave and oven, and she's not great on flippin a burger, but she's workin on it."

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=153441

Looks like you will either have to get a new washing machine or retrain your cat :D

She finds the buttons "fiddely"... (sigh), such a moaner. Ah well, shan't complain, her claws make her a good darner.;)

Sock are such inferior quality now, mine have holes in them before they go disappear, or maybe the hole gets so large it eats the sock

Back