Is the stove as good as everyone suggests?

dee82

Hi,

We live in a story and half and finally got a plumber down last night to advise on a stove (because EVERYONE is getting them in!!) A bit of background, we have an open fire in the sitting room (which I will not get rid of) and a oil range/burner in the kitchen (which himself won't let go) Of from the kitchen we have a conservatory where we've decided that the stove would go (make it and the kitchen open plan) Plumber advised its a good position as its straight up and over (not far) to the tank.

The stove would be for heating hot water & radiators but we've discovered there's actually 10 double radiators and 3 single which I was informed actually means 23 radiators...straightforward so far?

My dilemma is that yes we might go through a little more oil than everyone else but surly a stove to heat all them radiators is never going to throw out the 'cosy heat' and 'far to warm' remarks everyone's using unless we invest in a coal mine?!?! I'd imagine its going to take a lot of feeding to put up that heat? Or are all the stoves as good as they say?! Don't get me wrong I know they need plenty of fuel but to me it looks like we could be out alot more money on keeping it going?!?!

What is the basis for a stove doing all the glory it should?! Sorry for the long winded question & sorry for sounding very sceptical but any advice is greatly appreciated before we spend at least 7,000.00 on this project?!

sounds like alot.

replace the open fire with the stove and back boiler?

seems odd to have 3 fossil fuel based systems in place. can the existing stove/burner not be converted to do the rads & hot water?

you are right " everyone else has one" is a rubbish reason for spending 7K.

you need to do a proper analysis of this situation. Answering these questions should help you

You currently heat your rads using an oil boiler. Does this boiler need to be replaced ? Are you happy with this solution. if not, what are you not happy with ? If it is the oil bill, then you can take steps to address this - is your house well insulated ? can you make your system more efficient by having a powerflush ? replacing rads ? etc.

If you need to replace the oil boiler, then you have a choice of a new oil boiler or a stove. What are the pros and cons of both systems and what do you want of your heating system.

If you want to be able to control the heating via a timer and have it come on before you get up in the morning or come home from work, are you happy to lose this by having a stove heat the rads ?

What is the fuel cost saving of the stove vs oil ? you need to find an answer to this, from someone with a similar sized system.

If this is supposed to be about saving money and you are replacing a good oil boiler, you can do a lot of save oil without replacing the whole system and if you need to replace the system, take a long hard look at what you want before you decide.

Hi,

we have an open fire in the sitting room (which I will not get rid of) and a oil range/burner in the kitchen (which himself won't let go) Of from the kitchen we have a conservatory where we've decided that the stove would go

Have you factored in the time and hassle it will take to be cleaning and emptying ashes from two sources. I agree with fraggle above. 70% of heat from an open fire goes straight up the chimney so its an no brainer.

Back