Is the stay-at-home mother model so bad?

OldSAHM

Good for you OldSAHM, a fine post.

How do I recommend a post here in AAM ?

I give my vote to OldSAHM

OtH

SAHM

The SAHM is not just a mother to her children, she is the glue that holds a family together.

sharing

I honestly think that the ideal situation is for both parents to work part-time.

I find that sharing the childcare responsibilities with my partner is very rewarding. Neither of us feel like we are 'sacrificing our careers' for our kids. I think the kids appreciate the variety in their week i.e. mam, dad, gran, and playschool. We're a pretty frugal lot so we can easily get by on our 2/3 approx salaries.

Also being a sole earner can also be quite a burden. At the moment, my partner's company is looking a bit dodgy. I think he feels under a lot less pressure about this situation than his colleagues who are sole-earners as he knows that my salary will tide us over come what may.

Similarly I don't feel I have to be is 'the glue that holds a family together' - if anything were ever to happen to me, god forbid, the family would still be a family.

Stay at home Moms...

Fair play to those couples who are prepared to put the best interest of their child/ern first ...society is to caught up in material items ...many couples will argue that they need to have both parents working to survive financially ...and if this is guinelly the case well then fair enough, however the problem is that in a lot of cases most of this extra income is spend on luxury item rather that genuine necessities ... for example is it necessary for a professional couple both earning large salaries to both work rather than have one parent doing the most important job within society ( raising the next generation ) ... everyday i see parents arriving at creshes to collect there child/ern in no less than an ' 04 BMW or Merc ...NECESSITY...!!!

Which is more important the best interest of your childern or being the owner of a BMW / Merc.

The governments tax policys are clearly geared towards taking parents out of the home and putting our childern in childcare ... shortterm economic benefits increased productivity , ... but the long term , increased social problems for our childern.

Back