Is the shared ownership scheme still running with DCC?

pinkyponk2

Can anyone tell me if Dublin City Council are taking new applications for the Shared Ownership Scheme?

Seems the best route to go if you cant afford to buy on the market.

Has anyone any experience with the Shared Ownership Scheme?

Thanks.

Have no experience of the scheme but found these

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

If you ever take any advice from anyone do it now.
Stay well away from the Affordable Housing scheme. Search this forum and hear all the horror stories....

You dont understand the scheme, its all called Affordable housing.

How you choose to pay back can be either Shared Ownership(buy part rent the remaining) or Full Annuity where you have a full mortgage. And yes, its a disasterous scheme, esp if you get the wrong place or your circumstances change. Its been referred to by most as a Tojan Horse. You will never be able to move from it once you buy it, you must sell it. you wont be allowed to do what you want with it despite it being yours (private) not social. The coucil will NEVER answer your queries. The list is endless.
Read all the threads on this topic on this forum and make your own mind up but,.,. You have been warned!

I don't know if they still do it but I bought my first house on the Shared Ownership Scheme. I paid back the money to the council - half rent and half mortgage. As soon as I was able to afford it (6 years later) I sold the house and bought another house. There was no problem selling it as the council didn't take any monies off me - Buyback scheme that everyone talks about (don't really understand it to be honest). I literally just paid back the outstanding balance to the council as you would with any mortgage if you sold a house. Zen, I don't understand your comments about not being able to do what you want with it. In what way do you mean? I certainly never had to ask the council for permission to do any alterations to the house (if that's what you mean). Technically, in their eyes I had a mortgage with them like any bank.

Hi Scotsgirl, I mean if you have a onebedroom apartment with 2 adults 2 kids in it like me which you pay a 1k per month on 100% annuity mortgage, you cannot move unless you sell.
You are not allowed to lease out your privatly owned home. Its private but not private enough to lease it out and not social enough for you to get a transfer.
Also, you cannot fix the variable interest rate, mortgage protection is way above the norm, you cannot release equity, you cannot remortgage, the council are, well the council....(never get back to you)

You are stuck where you are unless you sell, which you did (of which i envy :) )

Houses are cheaper now, there is no need to be bound to the council. Do it privately, its less painful. I just dont want anyone else to go through what I went through. Just giving unbiased advice. I tell it as it is.

It's definitely still open though strangely, not all front-line staff appear to be aware of this.

I think it's a good "foot on the ladder" scheme - even with some of the inflexibility that Zen mentions. I know many people who have had a similar experience to Scotsgirl's.

Back