Is old passport valid while waiting for renewal

W200

Hi.
In a potential mess of my own making really . With two months remaining on both our passports I decided on 11th May to do online renewals . ( wet afternoon nothing better to do ). Very simple process and my new passport arrived promptly forty hours later . However my wifes passport has failed to arrive and the online tracker shows a processing date of May 25th . It so happens that we are due to fly to Portugal early on the morning of 25th .
My question is . Will her existing passport be valid up until the date the new one is issued and if so can we travel on 25th on old passport and have new one sent to us by family for our return trip if it arrives while we are away.
My big fear is that new passport will issue on 24th thereby invalidating the old one but will not be delivered in time.
Thanks for reading.

Hi.
In a potential mess of my own making really . With two months remaining on both our passports I decided on 11th May to do online renewals . ( wet afternoon nothing better to do ). Very simple process and my new passport arrived promptly forty hours later . However my wifes passport has failed to arrive and the online tracker shows a processing date of May 25th . It so happens that we are due to fly to Portugal early on the morning of 25th .
My question is . Will her existing passport be valid up until the date the new one is issued and if so can we travel on 25th on old passport and have new one sent to us by family for our return trip if it arrives while we are away.
My big fear is that new passport will issue on 24th thereby invalidating the old one but will not be delivered in time.
Thanks for reading.
If she still has the old passport in her possession and it’s not expired (ie in-date) then she can use that one.

(But did you not have to submit the old passport to the passport office before they’ll issue the new one? So that they cut the corners off it and mark it “cancelled” etc? After which they return the old one to you with the new one?)

Thanks for reply.
You do not have to return a passport in order to get a renewal . Just apply online and supply all the required info . As I said my new passport arrived without a hitch within a day and a half .

You legally don’t require a passport to travel to or enter Portugal from Ireland.

However, It may be a requirement of the airline. Check with them. While your passport may be valid on the date, usually the same document must still be valid for the return trip, again not a legal requirement but could be airline enforced.

Thanks Itchy.
Strange that on Department of foreign affairs website it states clearly that you must have a valid passport to enter Portugal.

I'd also get the passport card, far easier to hold than the full size passport and valid for travel throughout the EU (and UK)

Credit card size, so really handy.

Ireland is not part of the schengen area so you do need a passport to enter Portugal
You legally don’t require a passport to travel to or enter Portugal from Ireland.

However, It may be a requirement of the airline. Check with them. While your passport may be valid on the date, usually the same document must still be valid for the return trip, again not a legal requirement but could be airline enforced.

W200 when you are in the process of applying for the passport - in your situation where it was about to expire, there is a section that says it will expire on the day of the new issue passport. So say, as you suggest, your wife's new passport was printed/issued on the 24th and you take the flight to Portugal on the 25th with the almost expired one if it is swiped by immigration on arrival in Portugal - which is the norm it will show up as cancelled - unless there is a delay in info of the databases going out to EU states.

Not true if you are Irish and traveling from Ireland. And it says so on the page that you have linked:

"If you are traveling from a non-Schengen country, you will need to present an ID card or passport. "

Thanks Itchy.
Strange that on Department of foreign affairs website it states clearly that you must have a valid passport to enter Portugal.

Apologies. While you don’t need a passport to travel from a non-Schengen country, it appears you need to use a valid ID, which the Irish gov does not issue! (I was thinking driving license but it seems to explicitly state that it’s not valid for the purpose of identifying you for travel. It can only identify you when you’re driving!).

List of official documents by country.

Hi.
Thanks for reading.
Have you tried contacting passport office. For valid reasons like travel date they might expedite processing....

W200 when you are in the process of applying for the passport - in your situation where it was about to expire, there is a section that says it will expire on the day of the new issue passport. So say, as you suggest, your wife's new passport was printed/issued on the 24th and you take the flight to Portugal on the 25th with the almost expired one if it is swiped by immigration on arrival in Portugal - which is the norm it will show up as cancelled - unless there is a delay in info of the databases going out to EU states.
Thanks for reply.
If i saw online that the passport had been issued say on 24th i wouldnt risk travelling using old one on 25th . Probably just cancel early flight hope that passport arrived that day and book a late evening flight. Time between issue and delivery seems very fast .

Have you tried contacting passport office. For valid reasons like travel date they might expedite processing....
As someone else has said the office is virtually uncontactable . If you do manage to contact them then they will not address any issues regarding an online application that is " in process "

If your old passport has not yet expired your existing one will be valid for 4 weeks after new one issues.
Hope this helps

You do not need to send your current passport. If you renew an Irish passport, the previous one will be cancelled within 4 weeks of when you receive your new passport.

If your old passport has not yet expired your existing one will be valid for 4 weeks after new one issues.
Hope this helps

You do not need to send your current passport. If you renew an Irish passport, the previous one will be cancelled within 4 weeks of when you receive your new passport.
Thanks so much for that piece of information tommygirl . Its a great relief to know that there is a grace period between issue of new passport and the cancellation of the old one. I had visions of it being cancelled as we were travelling. There is about six weeks remaining on the old one which well covers us for the holiday .
Imagine i searched for ages trying to find the exact piece of info you have provided without success.
Thanks to you again and to all who have offered advice.
W200

Just in a final follow up the passport arrived this morning so happy days.
Just find it strange that of two passports applied for within fifteen minutes of each other on 11th one arrives in thirty six hours and the other takes nine days . That's just an observation not a criticism as all's well that ends well.

just rehashing this, as i had same question - will be abroad on old passport when new passport issues I think, and the Dept of Foreign Affairs state, with thanks to tommygirl last year "You do not need to send your current passport. If you renew an Irish passport, the previous one will be cancelled within 4 weeks of when you receive your new passport." - the "within 4 weeks" is what bothers me, should it not state "IN 4 weeks"..otherwise they could cancel the old on while I am away!

Back