Is my wife a first time buyer?

ardman

My wife and I live in a house which she inherited.It's in her name. 5 years ago we bought a small strip of garden and a rundown shed for 3000 punts.This piece of land is in both our names.If we were to sell our home would she qualify as a FTB when buying again? I myself am not a first time buyer as
I previously owned a house.We are presently buying an investment property.
Should I keep it in my own name in order to preserve her possible FTB Status?

This is what the Revenue say:

Who is a first time buyer?

A first time buyer is a person, (or, where there is more than one buyer, each of such persons):

who has not on any previous occasion, either individually or jointly, purchased or built on his/her own behalf a house (in Ireland or abroad) and

where the property purchased is occupied by the purchaser, or a person on his behalf, as his/her only or principal place of residence and

where no rent, other than rent under the rent-a-room-scheme, is derived from the property for five years after the date of the current purchase.

Seems to me: That she may well be a FTB for the purposes of stamp duty; therefore is the property is bought in her name it might qualify, provided its the principal residence. If its an investment property, dont think that will work.

Back