Is my suspension gone?

johns75

Hi, I have a new model '04 Audi A6. I bought it just 5 months ago and it does not feel as comfortable to drive as i would expect. When you go over a pot-hole or even an uneven surface on the road it feels as though my fillings are going to fall out. My wife drives an '02 A4 and that feels a hell of a lot smoother to drive. A friend of mine suggested replacing the tyres and getting the wheels balanced but its a bit expensive if it may not make a difference. There is plenty of "meat" on the current tyres so they should be okay. Is there a way to test the suspension? Any advise appreciated.

Is there a 'sporty' setting? Do you have large alloy wheels with low profile tyres?

No, Not a sportline as far as i know but i do have an "S" setting on the automatic gearbox and its a 7-speed multitronic. It's the 2.4L V6 model. The tyres are not low profile, just regular continentals

Check your tyre pressures and if you have adjustable suspension use "regular" mode. The gearbox sports setting might firm up the ride too.

2.4l suggests low profile tyres.

What size wheels and tyres have you?

You can't compare the two of these cars as there completely different cars. You have an Audi A4, which would have a huge difference in handling between 1.6 petrol and 2.0 dsl let alone 2.4 V6 A6, much bigger, heavier, and it's prob 4wd(Quattro). They come with a stiff suspension as standard as oposed to the Audi A4.

If you wanted to put your mind at ease go back to the dealer you bought it from and ask to drive a similar car with similar milage or go on to Carzone etc and go and see one and drive it.

'04 car will certainly show signs of wear in the suspension but not enought to replace the whole suspension.

If your suspension was gone, the suspension would be soft and bouncy and when you drove over bumps etc it would bottom out as to being solid.
Sounds like the car is doing what it says on the tin!

Garage wil have set tyre pressure at recommended levels. Generally these are too high for Irish roads. Which "regular" continentals are they? 205/55 or wider n lower?

Check them, and lower air pressure a little. Softens up the ride.

Sounds like you've got stiff suspension set up, to handle power of car. You'll get used to it.

As posted above, if suspension was "gone", car bounces all over the place with massive understeer.

Sounds like yours is tight and doing what it's supposed to. Sit tight on road, corner immaculately. Handle power from a V6 and keep you safe.

Have you not driven a performance vehicle before?

Thanks for all the advice. Maybe i just have to get used to it. I just thought for such a car i could expect a bit more comfort. Have i driven a performance car before? I have driven a Mercedes E320 and that just floats along. Anyway, brought it to a mate in Audi who confirmed its a tight suspension. As long as its normal i'm happy as the warranty is about to expire.

You can't compare the two of these cars as there completely different cars. You have an Audi A4, which would have a huge difference in handling between 1.6 petrol and 2.0 dsl let alone 2.4 V6 A6, much bigger, heavier, and it's rear wheel drive. They come with a stiff suspension as standard as oposed to the Audi A4....

You sure about that?

I fixed the above post, I ment it to say "poss 4wd". I'll make sure to read my post the next time before I send it.

Back