IS LIVING IN THIS COUNTRY ONE BIG CON???

Re: Wine

The basic price of the wine is much cheaper in most of the countries you mention, as is the price of food. Most people don't believe it, but the restaurant industry is a low margin business. I give out about the cost of meals as much as the next person, but I can see how the prices need to be high to stay in business. What annoys me much more is when you pay this much for meals and the service is poor.

I agree with you that the cheap and cheerful type of restaurants that are so plentiful on the continent are thin on the ground here. Irish restaurants all want to have gourmet notions...and unfortunately gourmet prices.

Hey mister!.

My son tells me that to gain entry in to the Stillorgan Bowling Alley you have to pay €3.50. Just to get in the door!!!!

Re: Hey mister!.

WHAT?

It used to be €1 not too long ago if they've increased it to €3.50 that's shocking.

The idea I think was to stop crowds of kids gathering there with no intention of spending money. I don't know if it worked.

I refused to pay once because we'd booked to go bowling. They protested a little but eventually let us in when I said we'd just cancel the booking and go elsewhere.

I went once without booking and I paid the €1. But there's no way in hell I'd pay €3.50.

-Rd

It's not really surprising that wine is more expensive in a restaurant than in a supermarket. After all the restaurant has to pay someone to open it, pour it, a license to serve it, a glass for you to drink it from, a corkscrew to open it with and insurance in case after you drink a bottle of it you fall over and sue them.

I'm sorry but I don't accept that reason... what about those that consume Coke? There is no excuse for a can of coke to cost 90c in Supermarket and glass of Coke in restaurant to cost €2.10!

I was actually in a restaurant last week... asked for a Coke with my meal - while I was pleasantly chatting with my b/f I noticed that they were filling up a glass of Coke for me from a 2 Litre (or 1.5Lt) bottle of Coke!! At the end of the meal, we were charge €2.10 per glass of Coke!!! What the heck justifies charging us THAT much money for beverages when it is served from a bottle that problem came from the Supermarket down the road... they must get at least 20 glasses out Coke out of each bottle - that means for the price of €1.99 Coke bottle (from local Supermarket), they can make about €40.01 from selling the stuff!! :mad

soc

Hi Soc

What price would you put on "pay someone to open it, pour it, a glass for you to drink it from, insurance in case after you drink a bottle of it you fall over and sue them."? What was their reaction when you complained to them? Did you see the price of the Coke on the menu before you ordered it?

Chances of me falling over after drinking a bottle of Coke is next to nothing! If I did happen to fall over or have an NON-alcohol induced accident on their premises, I'm sure the inflationary cost of their food contributes to their payment for an insurance policy.

I saw the price in the menu, yes... I put up with those sort of prices in pubs - it has become somewhat the 'norm'... though I don't want it to be. BUT when they serve me something out of a 2lt bottle rather than from pumps, or from a 'freshly' opened glass Coke bottle (you know the ones that you see in the pub)... then that is taking the mick.

I unfortunately didn't say anything due to
a. not having the guts :eek:
b. not wanting to make a scene in front of the b/f who was kindly taking me out.

... but I certainly won't be going back there in a hurry.

We are all on for moaning about prices. Do I hear anyone asking for an inflation-indexed payrise, selling price of their house, or second-hand automobile? A show of hands, please!<!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--><!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END-->We are all out to gouge one another. Face it, our outrage and indignation over prices is one-way. That, dear readers is known as hypocrisy.

Back