IS LIVING IN THIS COUNTRY ONE BIG CON???

A

anon

Is it just me or does other people think that we are being treated like idiots by shops etc.

Let me explain. When I go to a supermarket I see things like "Buy 2 get one free!" but no price displayed or not even and indication of what 2 would costs in the first place!!

or 20% OFF but no sign of a price or what it was first charged at!!! So what exactly is the 20% off ??

or the use of miniscule writing to hide the price and then a HUGE sign saying 20% off and a price is quoted in large print. So u go to the till and u think u will get 20% off the large price but no u are referred to the tiny price.

My best example is today when I went to buy a xmas tree from a well known UK retailer with an outlet in Limerick. I checked their web page for the uk and saw the price was €115.00 converted from sterling. The price in Ireland was €119.99 but this was with the 20% off and the original price was €149.99. I find this very strange.I could go on but all these tricks of the trade I am sure they are outlawed in other countries so why not here?

anon

con

As far as I know the Sale Of Goods Act does take account of this practice. It's been a while since I had a look at it but I'm almost certain that the 'Original' price that is advertsised as being discounted has to have been on the item for X number of days/weeks prior to to the sale.

Can anyone clarify?

Re: con

AFAIK, items marked with discounted prices must have been sold at the higher price for 30 days of the preceeding 90 day period. Report them to the [broken link removed] if they have broken the law.

Re: con

Not being critical but how can a Christmas tree cost €115? I assume it was more than just a tree?

Trees everywhere

Just drive up the Dublin mountains and take one. €115 saved !!

It's worth your while to be vigilant.

Just go down to SuperValue in Blackrock and see the differences being charged at the checkout as compared to the shelf prices. I am constantly getting free food because I spot their mistakes and bring it to their attention.

Price Display

Consumer legislation requires that retail prices are displayed for retail items. Where you see that this isn't the case, you should report the matter to Consumer Affairs who will send an inspector to examine the matter. All going well, a prosecution should result.

overcharging

and you still return? Why? Vote with your feet - we all have the power to decide not so allow shops top continue this practice - dont buy products without prices, ask for the now long dead receipt, and check it..it is peoples unwillingness to appear mean or needy that allows shops perpetuate these cons!

RIP OFF

thanks I feel better now. the tree is artificial and if I have my way it will outlive us both so I won't have to buy another.

I am going to invest in a small digital camera and take photos of all these scams. All I want is a fair price and a bit of respect to my intelligence.

anon

Did you really pay €100 plus for the tree? Sounds exhorbitant to me!

Re: .

Did you really pay €100 plus for the tree? Sounds exhorbitant to me!

Do trees really cost this much???????
Oh My Goodness.

I supose after 5 years or so of real trees it'll have paid for itself but still.

You could just plant a tree in the garden and light it up every year, but the presents would probably get nicked. And it'd confuse the hell out of Santa.

-Rd

re

it's not just Super value in Blackrock I was in the claremorris branch today saw the sign for river rock water buy 2 get 3rd free so I did, at the checkout I watched to make sure it was free but it did not come up on computer so sales girl had to leave and check shelves then phone managers office in the meantime I had a queue of people waiting giving me dirty looks but I stuck it out it was free eventually!!

More free food.

Supervalue Blackrock. Got a good sized pale ham for free.
It was priced at €12 but was charged €18 at checkout.
After the usual standing there while they returned to the shelving area to double check their overpricing they attempted to offer me the difference of €6 back.

Trying to be doubly smart. They can't lose.

I insisted on a complete refund which I got.

No one ever eats the dust.

Anyone notice the amount of "dust" at the bottom of Kelloggs corn flakes and rice krispies packets. Is it my imagination or is this increasing. Less crispies-more dust.?

Aldi cornflakes don't seem to suffer from that problem!

Wine

Local restaurant owner buys wine for cash at Supervalue. then serves same at five times the price.

Is that a rip off or just a clever profit.

Personally I don't mind paying €25 - €40 for wine with a meal but if I 'know' the same bottle costs five times less in a local supermarket then I'd question my sanity.

My understanding is most of the wine you purchase at a restaurant is the same as you would get in Cheers, O'Briens, Mitchells etc but it is cleverly relabeled so one cannot make blatent like for like comparisons.

Re: Wine

I'd be astonished if wine in a restaurant did not cost many times more than the same wine in a supermarket.

Look at the cost of a glass of coke in a restaurant!
You could buy a 2 litre bottle for the same price in a supermarket.

-Rd

It's not really surprising that wine is more expensive in a restaurant than in a supermarket. After all the restaurant has to pay someone to open it, pour it, a license to serve it, a glass for you to drink it from, a corkscrew to open it with and insurance in case after you drink a bottle of it you fall over and sue them.

**It's not really surprising that wine is more expensive in a restaurant than in a supermarket. After all the restaurant has to pay someone to open it, pour it, a license to serve it, a glass for you to drink it from, a corkscrew to open it with and insurance in case after you drink a bottle of it you fall over and sue them. **

I don't buy this at all - was in Rome last weekend, had many meals out in restuarants, and the price of a bottle of wine varied from €3 to €5. There is no reason why a restuarant cannot charge the same as retailers do for wine. They are already making a profit on the food, but the wine prices in restuarants are so outrageous that I would say a high % of their profits are from overcharging for wine.
Yes, this is ripoff Ireland.

Also, after eating out in Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, and more, we can be proud of the quality of Irish restuarants, they are as good as their European counterparts. The problem only starts with the bill!

Back