Is Limerick as bad as they say?

M

md009

Thinking about some property in Limerick but it seems to have a bit of a reputation. I'm not sure how true it is though. I have never lived there and the times I visited I had no trouble. Advice please?

Same as anywhere else, good and bad parts. Anacotty and Adare are beautiful villages but i'd never walk into St Mary's Park in Limerick City, you need to be a bit more specific.

Limerick is a reasonably sized place. Like most places, plenty of "good areas" as well as "bad areas". Impossible to give general advice about an entire city.

... Impossible to give general advice about an entire city.
or county even...
Same as anywhere else, good and bad parts. Anacotty and Adare are beautiful villages but i'd never walk into St Mary's Park in Limerick City, ...
I have and would again.

I've worked, walked, tavelled by bus and taxi, cycled and driven in and around Limerick City and County for many years. I've played GAA, rugby, soccer, pool, darts, tennis, 10-pin bowling, cards, clay and game shooting, etc. Never once have I encountered a problem of any kind. Some of the best and longest-lasting friendships I've ever had are with Limerick City and County people; they're the salt of the earth.

I'm not from Limerick, but I'm proud to have long-standing associations with the county and city.

BTW, are Cork / Waterford as bad as "they" say?

Last edited:
or county even...

I have and would again.

I've worked, walked, tavelled by bus and taxi, cycled and driven in and around Limerick City and County for many years. I've played GAA, rugby, soccer, pool, darts, tennis, 10-pin bowling, cards, clay and game shooting, etc. Never once have I encountered a problem of any kind. Some of the best and longest-lasting friendships I've ever had are with Limerick City and County people; they're the salt of the earth.

I'm not from Limerick, but I'm proud to have long-standing associations with the county and city.

Thats fine, and thats your perogative. Similarly there are areas of Galway and Dublin cities I would avoid.

I was born in Limerick.. its like any city or county in Ireland, there are good parts and bad. Personally, I love it, what parts are you thinking of OP?

Whether to invest in property at all is one question.

In relation to Limerick, talk to people who live here but are from different parts of the country. Most of these people will tell you that Limerick is a lovely place to live, no different to most large towns and cities in Ireland.

Peadar

I'm originally from cork city and moved to limerick when I was 20 and I am now 40, I've spent 17 years living in Limerick city and now living in the county for the last three years.
As with all cities there is a rough element but in Limerick city there is a different breed of thug that do tend to stick to themselves but God help you if you get mixed up with them in anyway.
I might add that the Gardai and the emergency response are doing a far better job these days than they did in the past and it is having a serious impact on criminal activity.
Limerick Folk in general are the nicest people you can ever come across and are so proud of their city but the activities of the "vermin" sometimes overshadow this.
I have made many loyal friends here and couldn't be happier.

I have lived all over the world. I started my family in Dublin and when they were small we moved to Limerick.

You couldn't live in a nicer city. It has so many things going for it; wonderful schools, sports facilities and university and houses that never were overpriced like the rest of the country.

I have raised (almost) four children and they still love the city. I have never being involved or saw any of the things that the newspapers report in the city.

There are two areas in the city that are ghettos but unless you intend visiting these areas for some reason you will never witness any trouble either.

It makes me very annoyed to hear people give out about Limerick and then don't explain why they feel like this or what experience they have of Limerick.

Limerick people are very giving of their free time and any projects or voluntary work I'm involved in is very well supported.

I would have to be dragged out of Limerick as you couldn't live in a better city in Ireland.

You get thugs in every county in Ireland we were all sicked by what happened in Tipperary on St. Pat's day but does that mean that nobody should move to Tipperary.

By the way the Limerick parade was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
limerick is not agreat city to be hanging around its very bad with drugs best to stay away from it shannon and galway is much nicer

I always remember following Waterford down to the Markets Field , from the moment we got off the train we were running for our lives , we spent the game ducking from flying stones and then ran back to the station !
And then we heartily reciprocated when Limerick came to Waterford.
Oh for the heady days of the League of Ireland again !

limerick is not agreat city to be hanging around its very bad with drugs best to stay away from it shannon and galway is much nicer

Oh god are you joking about Shannon. It's a small town with a small town mentality and absolutely nothing to do apart from GAA & drinking. Am from there and moved to Limerick and never regretted the decision.

As others have said if you avoid the "problematic" areas in Limerick you'll be grand. As with any city in the world there are issues but overall I'm really happy here.

I have worked in Limerick occasionally, and have also been there for weekend breaks. I have nothing but good to say about it.

Oh god are you joking about Shannon. It's a small town with a small town mentality and absolutely nothing to do apart from GAA & drinking. Am from there and moved to Limerick and never regretted the decision.

As others have said if you avoid the "problematic" areas in Limerick you'll be grand. As with any city in the world there are issues but overall I'm really happy here.

Agree with you about Shannon and even though people keep saying 'you'll be grand if you avoid the problem areas' you don't even need to avoid them you need to go well out of your way to actually go into them as they are not in the city.

William 26 What a sweeping statement what is your experience of this city. What do you mean 'very bad with Drugs' every town in Ireland has a drug problem I have 4 children of different ages that have attended three different secondary schools in the city and they have never seen a drug problem in them or have never been aproached or come in contact with drugs during their nights out ( I have discussed this with them) some now work in other citys and now cant wait to come home to Limerick for their night life and to their to their GREAT CITY. My son was attacked in Dublin walking along the street something that never happened to him or any of his friends in Limerick. Unfortunately 'Deiseblue' the soccer field is in one of these areas that is experiencing problems so unfortunately you had this experience.

jeez why do limerick people always compare limerickj to dublin in terms of drugs, murders etc....limerick is about a tenth of the size of dublin. i accept it gets a bad rep unfairly though

Back