is it worth taking a pay cut??

X

xtbertie

I know it seems like a strange question. Situation is this:
- work for a small organisation, don't think its going anywhere, essential abit bored, well paid
- jobs advertised with large organisation, very progressive place, would like to work there

Think I would be in with a very good shout for a job
but the top of the scale for these jobs would be just below what I got paid last year.

with this years increment (effectively two, long story) and benchmarking am now about €6k above that level but only since February.

I know I might not get offered d job but if I go for it and get it don't want to turn it down as they could say I knew in advance the pay scales so why did I apply. Ie could affect my future chances.
I know they could offer me a position way off anything near the top of the scale.

Thinking if I never really had the money would I miss it??
Is it mad to ever consider taking a pay cut?
Don't know obviously if/when jobs will come up on a higher scale.
Am single with no huge commitments.

Any advice/thoughts? or anyone that has faced a similar situation?

I took a smaller pay cut (about IR£2.5k) at my last career move. Something similar to yourself, I moved from being a biggish fish in a smallish pond, to a fairly small fish in a very big pond. I've no regrets, and I've more than made up for the pay cut over the years since the move.

Within reason I would certainly never rule out taking a pay cut to move from a job in which I was unhappy to one in which I would get more all round satisfaction or would yield other intangible benefits that might compensate for the cut in pay. Sticking with a job that pays better but is not enjoyable is simply not worth it.

I took a €3k (closer to €5k when bonuses taken into account) pay cut to move from a job I hated working in a small company with some (not all of them admittedly) not very nice people. I've moved to a job in a bigger company with a far nicer atmosphere and generally nicer working conditions and people - the job is similar to my last one but more interesting and more in the direction I wanted to go. I sometimes miss the money but to be honest when it's spread out over 12 months and tax taken away you don't really get that much for €3k - I get just over €100 less per month into my hand but was able to compensate for this by cutting down on counselling sessions from every week to twice a month - and having removed myself from a terrible work environment I'm far less down than I used to be so this is fine.

If you are happier in a different job, this should motivate you to work harder, and theoretically have a better chance of promotion, thus making up for the pay cut. This was my reasoning when I was changing jobs recently, but luckily I actually ended up getting and increase even though I would have settled for the same money or less.

How much is being happy at work worth to you?

Back