Is it worth suing for 500€?

Re: Is it worth sueing for 500€?

It would be likely to mislead which could well be an offence.

If it was 5,000 not 500 I would consider various actions such as cited in above posts.
But I dont think its worth the hassle and RISK taking things into my own hands.

Send a stubbs letter to them alot cheaper then going to court might work [broken link removed]

Could you sell the debt onto a debt collection agency? Im sure a visit from those guys could shake him up a bit.

Granted you would make a loss but getting a portion of something is better than nothing.

I.C

Could you sell the debt onto a debt collection agency? Im sure a visit from those guys could shake him up a bit.

Debt collectors have no legal powers above those of private citizens. He can just as easily them them to f off as well. Also debt collectors do not buy debts here.

Runner, I realise it is only €500 but it is still very important that you make every effort to make this guy pay, as you say he can afford to. You may be able to take the hit on this occasion but what about the next guy he rips off and the one after that?

I would suggest you just park outside his house for a few hours and mention the non payment to his neighbours as they pass by. If you dont want to do that then get someone to do it for you.

Obstruction of the public highway. Behaviour likely to lead to a breach of the peace. Various public order offences. He could be even moved on for his own safety.

Standing outside someone's house is not obstruction of the public highway. :( Where's the breach of the peace. Do you actually think the gardai will do anything? You've great faith in their likelyhood of doing anything at all. Have you ever rung the gardai for a neighbour making too much noise or having rubbish all over their garden or a dangerous tenant overstaying their tenancy?

Unless you have a judgement against him that behaviour could well leave you severely out of pocket.

Lots of suggestions, all well intended.
But has BOND has inferred above, nothing short of a legal judgement will phase the guy.
I could stand outside all night and I think it would not bother him.
Thats why the original post was about the cost of going legal.

Have a look into Experian, they charge 10% they will send a letter to two and make some calls. I am not sure how effective they will be as it is a person rather than a company you are chasing.

Who lives in the house? If you call to the house enough they might end up paying just to get rid of you especially if it is parents/wife etc. answering the door.

I should have pointed out that the terminology used does not refer to the caller claiming to be a solicitor and no professional title is used. Murphy and Associates could be a barber shop or anything else.

A barber calling stating their client has asked them to "start proceedings", come on be serious for a moment, whilst not expressly claiming to be a solicitor I think it is quite clear that objectively it would be viewed as making a representation or demand implying that he is a solicitor and thus contray to legislation. Incidentally only solicitors are permitted to conduct litigation on behalf of clients.

I also agree entirely with Bond's observations too.

500 is definitely worth a small claim. But don't involve a lawyer, it's not worth it.

Defendants often change their tune once a cop has served them court papers. They will often ask how much to pay you to make the problem go away, and then you can cancel the lawsuit without even appearing in court. Many debtors simply won't do anything until there are court papers in front of them.

The deadbeat defendants are just a little more hassle. They usually don't even show up to court - which works in your favor. You get a default judgment w/out even having to show much evidence or put forward an elaborate argument. Collecting is only easy if you know where they work, and can garnish wages. Or if you know they own a home, you can use the judgment to put a lien in their home.

It's very satisfying to force a deadbeat to pay through court actions, and finally get your money. Otherwise it could eat away at you. And by doing nothing, you're actually supporting the crime.

Firstly small claims cannot be used for debts. Don't even attempt that.

Secondly, the professional deadbeat debtors, do not work (at least on paper) and do not own any property. You will have an awful job trying to get them to pay you. Getting a judgement won't matter a jot to them as they probably have a load of them already. You won't have much joy getting an instalment order as they will be on welfare. These guys probably light the fire each morning with solicitors letters and court papers.

There are times you really need to cut your losses.

Firstly small claims cannot be used for debts. Don't even attempt that.
Sounds like you've been burned in court a few times. I've always successfully collected my debts this way.

Otherwise, what incentive do any tenants have to ever pay rent, if the court wouldn't hear cases against them?
Secondly, the professional deadbeat debtors, do not work (at least on paper) and do not own any property.
Obviously if you don't know who their employer is, and you don't know where their assets are, the risk of not collecting on the judgment goes way up. This information is secured before going into court. These types of debtors are often dogmatic, and too lazy to switch jobs, even when their wages are being garnished, making it quite easy for the creditor to recover the full amount. I garnished someones wages over period that spanned 2-3 years until it was paid off.

If you're dealing with a large amount of money, then it's worth it to pursue even without knowing their workplace or where their assets are. After winning the judgment plaintiffs can have defendants ordered into court to declare their assets. In which case if they don't show up, an arrest warrant is issued.

As far as property goes, most people own a car. Even cheap cars are typically worth more than 500, so putting a lien on the car is another option if they don't have a house.
Getting a judgement won't matter a jot to them as they probably have a load of them already.
Not if the court doesn't enforce debt payment, as you're claiming.

In most cases, the other creditors are deadbeats too, unwilling to bother with court (because the general public has court phobia), which means you generally do not have to wait in line to collect from the debtor.

Would anyone go to the Viper and ask him to retrieve the debt for a % of the return ? I believe he is now a debt collector !

Secondly, the professional deadbeat debtors, do not work (at least on paper) and do not own any property.

OP said they owned their own home so it's not the professional deadbeat debtor (good expression) in this case. But as you've pointed out the costs of going to court and winning will not pay for those costs.

I have used these stubbs letters they only cost €27.00. 80% of the time they work; depending on the person you are sending them too.

Send them a 'stubbs letter' !
I might as well send him a Christmas card :confused:

Back