Key Post Is it worth paying UK Class 3 Voluntary NICs? (spoiler alert: you should)

NoRegretsCoyote

How do I qualify for Class 3 NICs?
If you are below pension age and have lived in the UK and/or paid NI contributions for at least three years in a row but are no longer living in the UK.

How much do voluntary Class 3 NICs cost?
As of early 2023 they are £15.85 a week. That's £824 a year.

Why can't I pay cheaper Class 2 NICs?
Class 2 NICs which are only £3.15 a week, about 20% of the cost of Class 3 NICs. However you can only pay Class 2 if you are working in Ireland still and were working when you left the UK.

Is it still worth it to make voluntary Class 3 NICs?
Almost certainly yes if you are eligible. £824 a year gets you one year closer to the 35 years needed to qualify for the full UK state pension which is about to increase to £203 a week. So 35 times £824 a year in contributions gets you £10,556 a year for life once you reach 67. In cash terms you break even in a little under four years.

What is the investment return?
I calculated it's a guaranteed inflation-adjusted return of 8.7%. It's based on a 67 year old living to 82. There is no guaranteed return better than this.

Can I pay voluntary Class 3 NICs even if I haven't worked or lived three years in the UK
Possibly. Some people (myself included) are allowed to pay them despite having less than three years working in the UK. My view is that you should apply to pay them (see next bullet) if you have any UK NI record at all. You have nothing to lose except the price of a stamp.

How do I pay voluntary NICs?

Head over to the key post here and check it out.

Coyote

That is brilliant thanks.

Is it still worth it to make voluntary Class 3 NICs?
Almost certainly yes if you are eligible. £824 a year gets you one year closer to the 35 years needed to qualify for the full UK state pension which is about to increase to £203 a week. So 35 times £824 a year in contributions gets you £10,556 a year for life once you reach 67. In cash terms you break even in a little under four years.

Am I right in saying that each year's contribution gets you an additional £5.29 a week in pension or £275 a year?

So the arithmetic is
Invest £824
Return £275 inflation adjusted

Even if you are only 30 now and have to wait 35 years for the return, the return will be inflation adjusted, so it's great value.

Brendan

Brendan

Am I right in saying that each year's contribution gets you an additional £5.29 a week in pension or £275 a year?
That's about right, yes.

Over longer term it's better to think in terms of investment return but for most people the cash in divided by cash out might be simpler.

NRC

But I am trying to work out the time value of money.

Is £275 inflation adjusted in 10 years, the same as £275 today?

I think it is.

Brendan

Is £275 inflation adjusted in 10 years, the same as £275 today?
No.

You discount by the rate of "pure time preference" - or basically the rate the market will pay you to give you back the same purchasing power in ten years as it holds today.

The closest you'll get to the rate of pure time preference is a Treasury inflation-protected bond.

The value is sometimes negative!

fredgraph.png

Last edited:
So is the inflation-adjusted £275 worth more in 10 years than it is today or less?
Usually less.

Something you have today is usually more valuable than something you receive ten years, even adjusted for inflation.

But I think we are straying off the point here a bit. For anyone of any age under 67 it is still a very good investment return to make a Class 3 voluntary NIC.

What entitlements do you get if you pay 25 years contributions but you die before the age of 65? Does your wife get a widows pension?

Back