Is it true that Anglo staff got two weeks christmas bonus?

Binomial

Is it true that Anglo staff got two weeks christmas bonus? In addition to free gourmet coffee and danish pastries at their desks every day?

BiNomial

I think there has to be a limit to the begrudgery. If they got 2 weeks wages as a bonus then good luck to them. I presume it was in recognition of their hard work. The fact that their former managers were criminal in their behaviour doesn't make the rest of them so. As for coffee and danish pastries? Hardly the end of the world in terms of cost. They work for a business. They are not inmates.

What draws the distinction between gourmet coffee and regular coffee anyway? Should the beans be individually inspected and roasted?

If a business is bankrupt and its employees only have a job because of massive state funding then, even though it's not their fault, they should not get free cakes and coffee or bonuses.

Shure we're paying their wages for the forseeable future, why not give them decent quality coffee and eats also?

Seriously though, I dont believe they received bonuses or special coffee - just part of their urban myth.

But, I can cathegorically say every suited employee of Anglo received all their salary increments over the past year in other words they are earning more than they did this time last year (unlike most others).

I can cathegorically say every suited employee of Anglo received all their salary increments over the past year in other words they are earning more than they did this time last year (unlike most others).

That doesn't seems right. I'm not ne for witch hunts but they are employed only because of the charity of the state. They shouldn't get pay increases while so many others take cuts.

If I was a well qualified, excellent employee I would have left a long time ago and would have started rebuilding my career elsewhere.

Anglo faces a serious problem. It needs experienced people in the area of debt collection. It has to have a programme in place to retain these people. In fact, it has actually had to recruit new people with the right experience. Generally speaking, top quality people tend not to work for companies which have no future. So I have no problem with Anglo paying retention bonuses to some of its staff. Nor have I a problem with them paying performance bonuses to new staff, although in practice, I suspect that they offered very big packages without bonuses as that would be more poliitically acceptable.

By the same token, bonuses should not be paid to people in areas where they are overstaffed.

I think there has to be a limit to the begrudgery. If they got 2 weeks wages as a bonus then good luck to them. I presume it was in recognition of their hard work. The fact that their former managers were criminal in their behaviour doesn't make the rest of them so. As for coffee and danish pastries? Hardly the end of the world in terms of cost. They work for a business. They are not inmates.

Totally agree, "well we own the banks" is not a rational arguement for people who know nothing about banking to decide who should or should not get bonuses (or coffee)

Totally agree, "well we own the banks" is not a rational arguement for people who know nothing about banking to decide who should or should not get bonuses (or coffee)

If we restrict debate here on AAM to exclude those 'who know nothing about' the topic in hand, we'll have some very short succinct debates.

That doesn't seems right. I'm not ne for witch hunts but they are employed only because of the charity of the state. They shouldn't get pay increases while so many others take cuts.

Yes, Purple this is correct. I have checked my source. They received all their increments over the past two years.

Somebody else suggested that it would be in the best interest of Anglo staff to resign and rebuild thier careers elsewhere. Why should they? They lost nothing . . . unlike the rest of us.

But, if I could, I would love to join Anglo's staff Lotto Syndicate. I reckon with all their luck they will have a huge win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The problem they have is rebuilding their careers. Jobs are hard to find, they have families to feed and mortgages to pay.
Goodbodies laid of 20 staff last Monday, and more to follow. I have heard AIB are going to announce another 2/3k (yes thousand) this month. How does 'Anglo' look on a CV? I know one person who wants to leave them, but they wont give him the redundancy package. I am sure there are many more in the same boat, who are sick of working there.

You have to remember that the vast majority of staff at Irish banks, yes even Anglo, did nothing wrong. Its was a small select band at the top that wrecked the banks, not those on the shop floor.

So lets see. Anglo staff so far have got a Christmas bonus, increments, Danish Pastries and Gourmet coffee at their desks. Surprised no-one has mentioned the daily massages.
I would imagine very few Anglo staff were on increment based contracts as Anglo was largely if not completely non-unionsed and therefore most pay increases and bonuses were performance related based on appraisal.
Without defending Anglo, I know staff in there who have worked 15/16 hour days 6 and 7 days a week during the crisis and they didn't get pay increases or bonuses. Not sure about the Danish Pastries though.

You have to remember that the vast majority of staff at Irish banks, yes even Anglo, did nothing wrong. Its was a small select band at the top that wrecked the banks, not those on the shop floor.

Very true, but you completely miss the point. Those that have retained thier jobs have only done so through the generosity of the Irish taxpayer. These sort of perks and bonuses are completely inappropriate for employees of a failed organisation.

As for Mr Foy and his chums suing for the 100's of thousands in bonus, well that is just immoral in the extreme

I would imagine very few Anglo staff were on increment based contracts as Anglo was largely if not completely non-unionsed and therefore most pay increases and bonuses were performance related based on appraisal.

Increment-based contracts and performance-related pay are not mutually exclusive.

Increment-based contracts and performance-related pay are not mutually exclusive.

They usually are in the private sector. Certainly in banking. Increment based contracts are usually only given to lower paid unionised employees.

They usually are in the private sector. Certainly in banking. Increment based contracts are usually only given to lower paid unionised employees.
That certainly wouldn't have been the case in BOI , a majority of staff across all grades remain on incremental contracts and would have a larger basic salary than those on pay for performance contracts but as pointed out by you the vast majority of all incrementally paid staff do not receive bonus payments .

Staff on PFP contracts would generally have done well in the good times but are now suffering by comparison with their incrementally paid colleagues & would not for example have rec'd the last 3.5% increase - swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I presume that the same pay parameters apply to AIB staff.

It does seem strange that posters here argue in favour of bonuses etc for the employees of a bankrupt bank on the grounds that they did nothing wrong yet don't argue for bonuses etc for the employees of bankrupt state, the majority of whom have also done nothing wrong.

I accept the argument made by Brendan but the same applies to the public sector in general and however systemically important a niche bank like Anglo-Irish may or may not be to the economy I think that we would all agree that the civil and public service are more important to the Irish state.

I am not arguing for increases in pay or the reversal of cuts, levies and tax increases for the public sector, I am simply saying that the same factors that necessitate those savings to the state apply to the staff of Anglo-Irish Bank (or any other nationalised bank).

Back