Is it risky not to close my Halifax fixed term a/c?

L

lastlady

I got a letter last month saying "I didn't have to close my 18month fixed term account", I'll just have to deal with BOS(ireland) in the future when the a/c matures. (Account opened early 2010). It seems every Halifax customer on this message board is closing their a/c's. Is it risky to leave it open. Are there any security issues that should concern me?

Their commercial business is continuing here so personally I would have no concerns if I had one.... unfortunately I only had a flexi saver:(

I also have a two year term deposit with them, one year has now passed by, a few weeks past I received a letter from Halifax stating that my interest rate and terms and conditions for this account shall remain the same for the duration of the term. However reading through some of the comments on this forum I am beginning to wonder if it is safe to leave my savings with them, can someone reassure me :confused:

Keep your term deposit open until maturity date or you will be subject to large penalties.

There should be no issues/problems in dealing with BOSI.

Thank you for that Fungus, to their credit they told me that should I wish to close the fixed Rate Savings account before its maturity date I will not be liable for any early breakage fees. I will also continue under the current Terms and Conditions until the deposit matures or I decide to close the account early. If you feel there won't be any issues/problems in dealing with BOSI I think I will leave my deposit as it is. it's a pity Halifax are closing their Retail and Intermediary banking in Ireland, the staff were excellent and I found them a pleasure to deal with.

If the rate you are fixed at is it lower rate than a new term rate available in the market today, I would close your account early and re-fix with another institution. Otherwise keep it !

Last edited:
Back