Is it possible to ring up your home insurance and ask for a roofer to replace some tiles without making a claim?

Max Weber

Registered User
Messages
80
Hi

Two of our tiles are cracked and will need to be replaced. Looking on google and there are so many cowboys around, so i am wondering could we ring up our own house insurance to ask for a reputable roofer to replace the tiles (two of them) without actually making a claim against our insurance. We would pay the roofer ourselves.

thanks.
 
Why on earth do you want to contact your insurance? You just go ahead with the work.
I do all repairs myself and never ask my insurance for permission or just to inform them about what is done.
I never ever claimed in 40 years. My insurance is only for the worst case scenario- a complete destruction of the house.
 
Why on earth do you want to contact your insurance?
Because they're wondering if the insurer might be able to suggest a reliable tradesperson.
Looking on google and there are so many cowboys around, so i am wondering could we ring up our own house insurance to ask for a reputable roofer to replace the tiles (two of them) without actually making a claim against our insurance. We would pay the roofer ourselves.

I do all repairs myself and never ask my insurance for permission or just to inform them about what is done.
They're not looking for permission. Just a referral to a trustworthy tradesperson.
 
Which would not be recommended for roof repairs by an unqualified roofer.
I'm a tradesman so I'm aware of the skills required for my own trade.
I've always been a awe of Plasterers. I think I'd have a better chance of being able to do heart surgery than plaster a ceiling properly. I'm having a total refurbishment done on my house at the moment and it was really striking how technically skilled the different building trades are and how much they have changes in the last 30 years, just as my own engineering trade has utterly changed.

I wouldn't get up on a roof to fix anything and I wouldn't attempt to fix a leaking shower tray or do any wiring in my house.
 
I wouldn't get up on a roof to fix anything and I wouldn't attempt to fix a leaking shower tray or do any wiring in my house.

Yeah, I often wonder why people waste their time serving an apprenticeship when I listen to some know-all DIYers. A carpenter friend always says that he loves DIYers because he makes a lot of money out of fixing their disasters.
 
Back
Top