Is it possible to get house insurance on a rental property for less than 6 months

nbc

Hi
I’m in London currently and will be back in July. I was wondering was it possible to get buy to let insurance for less than 6 months? For example 4 or 5? I know from previous experience they often request a 6 month lease?
Is it possible to have a 6 month lease but I have the right to end it unilaterally so that I can move back in July?
Thanks for your replies
NBC

Your question isn't entirely clear.

Do you have a property currently that is rented out?

T

Thanks Thirsty
No not rented. It’s my own house. I’m planning to rent out till
July as I’m not going to be requiring it for this period
Nbc

no. you can only take out cover for 12 months. You can of course cancel the cover and you will get some aspect of a return once there hasn't been a claim but its unlikely to be a pro-rata calculation . It will be a percentage and probably an admin fee. Have a look at the wording before you buy.

no. you can only take out cover for 12 months. You can of course cancel the cover and you will get some aspect of a return once there hasn't been a claim but its unlikely to be a pro-rata calculation . It will be a percentage and probably an admin fee. Have a look at the wording before you buy.
Thanks for that.
I’ve called 123.ie. They say I need a min 6 month lease. Can I draw up a 6 month lease with a break clause half way for example?

Yes normal home insurance
On a side note there are new laws in regards to notice periods. You have to give a minimum of 90days notice. After 6months the tenant has a right to stay for upto 6years in a cycle. Also your tenant has to hold 20% back on the rent and pass to Revenue if you have no one managing it for you. Read up on this before you commit to rental. Maybe rent out the rooms instead of whole unit. Look at rtb for info.

Rent out two rooms, keep one for your use. Return home a few weekends. Pack away anything thats valuable to you and that you wouldn't like to see broken.

Keep it simple.

you can of course do a 6/12 month or longer lease. If Tenant wants to leave earlier, then all is OK.

Insurers do charge a bit more for houses let as opposed to houses occupied by owners.

On a side note there are new laws in regards to notice periods. You have to give a minimum of 90days notice. After 6months the tenant has a right to stay for upto 6years in a cycle. Also your tenant has to hold 20% back on the rent and pass to Revenue if you have no one managing it for you. Read up on this before you commit to rental. Maybe rent out the rooms instead of whole unit. Look at rtb for info.
Thanks for that. Its a 2 bed property. I guess if it was 3 I could rent out two rooms and not have to pay tax on them. Is that what you’re thinking? Im assuming that as it’s a 4 month lease I don’t need to give notice as I’ve told them I need the house back in July.

Back