Life Is it possible to claim PRSI refund for PHI/income protection?

monkey14

Hi. I have a permanent health insurance policy (with friends first), that I pay directly myself, not through payroll at work. I claim the income tax relief every year in my tax return.
But, is it possible to claim back the PRSI that I've paid on my premiums, (as I do with my pension, since I also pay that directly)? I have searched for answers on this but haven't been able to find them.
Has anyone tried sending in a PRSIREF1 form (application form for PRSI refunds) to social welfare based on paying PHI premiums?
I've had the policy for a few years, and this has been niggling at me. It's probably not a lot of money, but I feel I should be entitled to it back.
Thanks for any help.

thanks for that suzie. I did see that thread, but am still unsure. I don't know if that applies to me as a PAYE worker?

Sorry, i mis-read, thought you were a sole trader.
i see you asked revenue about the prsi refund on income protection. I'm just wondering has anyone checked this with welfare, as they do all prsi refunds other then pensions?
I should just contact welfare myself of course, but was just checking first whether anyone else knew.

I would be interested to know if you got an answer on that from welfare monkey14.

Just an update on this.
I contacted PRSI refunds section who didn't have a clue, they forwarded me to PRSI information who also didn't have a clue and suggested I speak to PRSI refunds(!)
I was then forwarded to welfare where I spoke to a lady who couldn't confirm but was of the opinion that if someone contributing through payroll gets PRSI relief then somoeone contributing outside of payroll should be entitled to a refund of PRSI paid.
She advised sending a question through the website but advised that it could be a number of weeks before I get a reply!
I'm tempted to fill in a PRSI refund form (for pension payments) and send it in with a letter, see where it goes!

Keep us posted please

If indeed you get a refund, I imagine you cant go back more that 4 years!!!

S.

Hi folks. I haven't made any progress on this I'm afraid, as I've been busy with other things over the past few months.

She advised sending a question through the website but advised that it could be a number of weeks before I get a reply!
I did this shortly after my last posting in April, and still haven't got a reply, so you might be waiting more than a few weeks!!

I was then forwarded to welfare where I spoke to a lady who couldn't confirm but was of the opinion that if someone contributing through payroll gets PRSI relief then somoeone contributing outside of payroll should be entitled to a refund of PRSI paid.
This seems reasonable, and is why I feel we should be entitled to the refund.

I'm tempted to fill in a PRSI refund form (for pension payments) and send it in with a letter, see where it goes!
I think I'm going to do this, and see what happens. From your frustrating experience on the phone Dillons, it might be good for a few people to try it, as it will probably be random chance, depending on who happens to assess the application. If one of us is successful, and posts it here, then the others can try again!

Unfortunely, you are not entitled to a refund of PRSI on PHI.

The relieving section of the social welfare act only refunds PRSI on approved pension payments.

Back