IS IT POSSIBLE TO CLAIM 2 STATE PENSIONS - UK AND IRISH

Fiona Howard

Hi there, wondering if someone can help me. I lived and worked in the UK and have 24 years qualifying towards my UK state pension, I have been in touch with the Inland revenue in the UK and can make up 6 years by paying Class 2 contributions to qualify for the full UK state pension. Luckily, I still have an active UK bank account.

However, I returned to Ireland in 2014 and have 4 years of contributions so far, I intend to remain in Ireland and work until retirement age - I have another 20 years to go. My question is, will I be entitled to claim 2 state pensions ? With Brexit looming, I don't know what's in store with regards to claiming a UK state pension whilst my permanent home is in Ireland.

Hoping someone will be able to shed some light... Thank you in advance.

At the moment it is possible - my husband has a small UK pension and the full contributory Irish pension but who knows what will happen in the future. I would advise making up the 6 years as you have 24 paid.

At the present the answer is yes. However you have a long way to go before retirement, so it is hard to say how it will pan out. Currently there are two issues on the immediate horizon:
- BREXIT: It is unclear how this will impact your pension situation, at present if you are not a citizen of the EU state in which you choose to retire, then the state that pays the largest part of your pension is responsible for your health care costs. In recent years I gather that the UK has not been too excited to pay pensions and benefits to out overseas retirees. So the law revision in the UK may have consequences.
- The other thing is that the UK and Ireland are way behind the curve when it comes to pension reform. The conversation has only begun in Ireland and has not started at all in the UK. It is clear that the current situation is unsustainable going forward and changes will have to be made. If the decision is to follow the European trend then, the state pension will only be expected to cover 30-40% of a persons living costs, with a private pension and savings coming up with the rest.

But like I say, you have a long way to go and all in all, it is probable worth paying up the missing years at this stage.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question... Will have to see what the future holds, I guess !

I lived and worked in the UK and have 24 years qualifying towards my UK state pension, I have been in touch with the Inland revenue in the UK and can make up 6 years by paying Class 2 contributions to qualify for the full UK state pension.

Maybe I got my wires crossed somewhere but I believe the new state pension requires 35 qualifying years to claim the full amount?

Back