Is it legal to take Property Tax from Social Welfare or Childrens Allowance?

SWA is €186 pw. €2 pw less than the standard rate of €188. So
€2 x 52wks= €104 which would cover the minimum Property tax of €96

and still leave people just above the poverty line, how bad.

This government is showing us how you can get blood from a stone.

Well if they can only take a maximum of €104 then it might suit some people to let them take that amount especially if their tax was above this amount.

The level of how immoral it is to blackmail a welfare recipient into paying now or face accrued interest on the extorted charge makes me want to vomit.
Yet another measure to keep the poor poorer.

The level of how immoral it is to blackmail a welfare recipient into paying now or face accrued interest on the extorted charge makes me want to vomit.
Yet another measure to keep the poor poorer.

The saying is: to make a rich person work harder is to pay s/he more and to make a poor person work harder is to pay s/he less.:(

The question of 'is it legal to take Property Tax from S.W. or C.A' is beside the point.
The government just made the Social Welfare bill law so the power is now there to do it.
Quick follow up amendments to the law can give wide reaching power to any government agency that needs it to get the money.

The government just made the Social Welfare bill law so the power is now there to do it.

Quick follow up amendments to the law can give wide reaching power to any government agency that needs it to get the money.

Yes, I agree.

I imagine that it is open any citizen to challenge the constitutionality of such provisions but such a challenge would be expensive folly in my opinion.

The irony is the a SW recipient would get free legal aid to bring such a challenge.

I don't really see an issue as any deduction cannot bring your payment below the SWA level.

Of course. The deferral will be necessary for many people. What I was stating is that the tax is highly unlikely to be deducted by force from SW payments.

The question of 'is it legal to take Property Tax from S.W. or C.A' is beside the point.

You do realise we have an Oireachtas, democratically elected, that would have to pass changes to the law?

The irony is the a SW recipient would get free legal aid to bring such a challenge.

I don't really see an issue as any deduction cannot bring your payment below the SWA level.

I'm fairly sure that free legal aid does not cover a constitutional challenge to the Supreme Court but, you know, facts, what are they good for.

No shortage of barristers willing to take such a case on for free either.

You're not sure? Do you think its maybe so they don't starve in the streets if they can't get work? :rolleyes:

I think that's what TrundleAlong meant. How can a state say that they are providing for people to prevent the above happening and then take it back in tax?

Back