Is it legal to open different accounts in different branches?

Sn@kebite

I have a current a/c with AIB, I wish to open another current account in a different branch, maybe saving a/c instead not sure yet. Is it ok to hold different accounts in different branches?

Also which would be the best bank to go for, in terms of fees for account actions, Ability for Online banking would be great, and also the best bank which has least to do with AIB? Im thinking UB or P. TSB only because they are closest to me.

any help appreciated!

I have 2 accounts with different branches of AIB, no problem, they knew about it. I am in the process of closing them. I use PTSB as main bank, I find them good, internet banking is easy and you can create an instant access reg. saver online account with 4% interest. Transferring between accounts, paying bills, mobile phone top-ups etc are a doddle. I have a reg savings A/C @ 4% with UB too. This is all I have with them, so I can't say much about what they're like in other respects. The only negative I found with UB was that when I had a phone query, I got thro to a Belfast call-centre, they did nothing other than pass my query on to the branch (who you cannot ring directly) and it either took a few days to get a call-back, or I didn't get a call back.

Thanks guys!

Is Internet banking also possible with UB? thanks for your advice. Do they have any reltion to AIB at all?

UB have excellent online banking service. Good job, because their branch banking service is virtually non-existent and generally passed on the somewhere central in their admin organisation. People there have no idea of personal service. So, if you can do everything online, UB is great. It recently took me over 2 months to replace a stolen laser card, passed from Billy to Jack, ignored by the branch, fell between stools etc. Eventually took to sending hysterical emails to all their contact points and eventually got the card. So, on the one hand, great - on the other, be warned.

I don't agree on customer service, I find them pretty good in Midleton and Cork.

I'd agree on their web banking facility though, it is very good. Way, way better than BOI's outdated rubbish.

I had a fixed account maturing in UB and wished to add some more funds to it. I completed a withdrawl from my current account for a specific amount and left it with my branch so that on the maturity date they could add the new funds to the maturing funds and roll it over for a new term.
Because of the antiquated way they open and close accounts (I believe this involves Belfast) and because they insist on transferring funds in and out of "holding accounts" they decided without reference to me, to change the amount of my signed withdrawl to an amount that suited them and cancel the amount that I had completed the withdrawal for.
This did not involve any loss to me but I have never heard of a bank changing the amount of a signed withdrawal to suit their own needs, especially without any reference to their customer.
I can tell you I was not impressed and I only found this out when I got my bank statement and noticed "strange" transactions on my current account.

Back