Is it ethical to ask for a price reduction due to Covid after having gone sale agreed?

Out of principle, I would sell at a lower price to someone else rather than deal with a person who sought to renegotiate our deal.
Well, the reality is that a lot of folks have suffered significant pay cuts or job losses so they are restricted in terms of the amount they can borrow.

In those cases, its either a renegotiated deal or no deal at all. At the end of the day, it's about price discovery.

Different times and different measures- no need to cut one's nose off to spite one's face...............

mf
Still though, it might be legal and possible but it's not nice. Gazumping always had an odious quality about it. Gazundering is the same really. Karma will get you!!

Still though, it might be legal and possible but it's not nice. Gazumping always had an odious quality about it. Gazundering is the same really. Karma will get you!!

There's a real reason though- my own view is that if properties went back on the market again , they would not get the same price.

In addition, purchasers will probably find that they won't get approval at the same level.

My advice to my vendors is to pray that the deal eventually gets over the line at, or near, the sale agreed price.

And to purchasers, seek to renegotiate the price.

Karma- my hat!

Let's get real- our economy is in trouble, Karma comes after that...........

mf

Possibly but a receiver has a duty to exercise all reasonable care to obtain the best price reasonably obtainable for the property.

Personally, I wouldn't proceed without a 10% reduction from a price that was agreed pre-pandemic.

How are you calculating a 10% reduction as fair?

How are you calculating a 10% reduction as fair?
I simply expressed a view as to the level of discount that I would personally require from a price that was agreed pre-pandemic. Fairness doesn't enter the equation.

If the vendor wouldn't agree to that discount, well that's their prerogative. The deal would simply fall over.

I get the logic. It's exactly the same as the logic behind gazumping. Which is generally seen as sharp practice. Why is it seen as more acceptable for a purchaser to renege than a vendor?

I'm genuinely interested in the moral calculus at work here.

Why is it seen as more acceptable for a purchaser to renege than a vendor?
I don't think it is.

But the world in which we find ourselves today is very different to the world two months ago.

For example, the pal that I referenced earlier has just suffered a 20% pay cut - he couldn't proceed on the basis of the originally agreed price even if he wanted to. He simply can't raise the funds.

Where does that reality fit into your moral calculus?

Whats the confusion here. No deal is done until contracts are signed. The reality is renegotiation is possible until then - whether liked or not and it works both ways.

For example, the pal that I referenced earlier has just suffered a 20% pay cut - he couldn't proceed on the basis of the originally agreed price even if he wanted to. He simply can't raise the funds.

Where does that reality fit into your moral calculus?

That's different. I'd distinguish between two types of scenario:

A) purchaser goes sale agreed, subject to mortgage approval. Bank pulls approval. Purchaser approaches vendor, explains situation. Vendor may choose to do a deal to rescue situation.

B) purchaser goes sale agreed. No problems with funding. Purchaser chances his arm to try and get a discount on the price he "shook hands" on a few short weeks ago. Puts pressure on vendor who may be in a chain, etc etc.

In A, no opprobrium can or should attach. That's just how the world works.

However situation B is different. While it is perfectly legal, it is sharp practice. I wouldn't do it myself and I'd think less of anyone who tried it on me.

Whats the confusion here. No deal is done until contracts are signed. The reality is renegotiation is possible until then - whether liked or not and it works both ways.
Possible? Yes.
Legal? Yes.
Honourable? No. Both ways.

We went sale agreed a bit before Xmas and we are now just about to sign contacts in the next week. I hemmed & hawed about offering a reduction on our agreed price, glad I didn’t though, mostly because I believe fair is fair and we agreed a price and tbh don’t think the vendor would entertain it as they didn’t seem to be in any hurry. A friend of ours tried to get a reduction however, the vendor pulled out, as they were inundated in over the the asking only weeks before the restrictions.

You're the purchaser in this transaction, right? In that case, I think you're nuts not to look for some sort of reduction before you put ink to page.

We are, but in our situation we are in the same position financially as we were when making the offer and have largely been unaffected by the pandemic. It’s this reason why I felt it would be wrong to seek a reduction, the vendor didn’t cause the pandemic and as another poster mentioned an executor or receiver has a duty to seek the best financial outcome for their clients.

We are, but in our situation we are in the same position financially as we were when making the offer and have largely been unaffected by the pandemic. It’s this reason why I felt it would be wrong to seek a reduction, the vendor didn’t cause the pandemic and as another poster mentioned an executor or receiver has a duty to seek the best financial outcome for their clients.
This is pretty "honourable" but with the amount of money involved in what is most peoples' biggest purchase of their life, I'm not sure I would approach it like this.

I know there is no certainty about what this will do to prices, but my instinct would be either to press pause or to look or a significant reduction in asking price.

Even if my own financial position was the same, I believe the market will become more of a buyers one, that would be my logic.

This is pretty "honourable" but with the amount of money involved in what is most peoples' biggest purchase of their life, I'm not sure I would approach it like this.

I know there is no certainty about what this will do to prices, but my instinct would be either to press pause or to look or a significant reduction in asking price.

Even if my own financial position was the same, I believe the market will become more of a buyers one, that would be my logic.
Could happen that there will be so few houses on the market with vendors withdrawing that falls may not amount to anymore than 5% to 10%. Hard to know but there will be less buyers too.

We went sale agreed pre-Corona. Has anyone successfully negotiated a reduced price in the last number of weeks? Interested to hear what kind of % movements are happening generally.

We have not signed contracts and are not in a chain. Buying from a receiver, but so far they are only agreeing to a small reduction less than 5% which we don't think is near enough. We like the house but it needs a complete renovation to make it liveable.

We've gone back looking for an 8% reduction, from the agreed price down to the original asking price. We need as it as the CV has affected our employment status and ability to repay the mortgage we intended to get. We're absolutely prepared to walk away from the deal rather than put ourselves in possible future difficulty.

Last edited:
We've gone back looking for an 8% reduction, from the agreed price down to the original asking price. We need as it as the CV has affected our employment status and ability to repay the mortgage we intended to get. We're absolutely prepared to walk away from the deal rather than put ourselves in possible future difficulty.

I think that’s eminently reasonable. If I was the seller, I think I would plough on. But the “I think I’ll offer X% less because I feel it on the wind” merchants? As previously stated, I’d actually sell for a lower price to someone else.

Back