Is it advisable to add husband to title deeds

Leaky1

As mentioned in my previous comments, I hope to switch my mortgage from EBS to AIB in the near future. I now have most of the supporting documents I need to submit. This will be a joint application with my husband.

There is one additional issue I'm unclear on, and my solicitor hasn't advised me clearly either way on this. I bought my home as a single individual and as such it is my sole name on the title deeds. We both live in this property together for almost the entire time I've owned it.

The AIB mortgage application form asks what names the property will be registered in after we switch.
My solicitor said it might be advisable to put both our names on the deeds (a little extra work and costs) to "protect my husband's interests" and that some banks will insist that both names must be on the deeds.

I queried this with AIB and they said they will not insist on both names being put on the deed.
Can anyone explain briefly the pitfalls of not adding his name to the deeds?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I had thought that he would automatically own half of the property since we are married. I have no objection to putting his name on the property, just wasn't clear if it was simply unnecessary (as I had presumed he already owned half by marriage).

It's covered under the Family Home Act but not as clear cut as that, it wouldn't do me if I was paying half the mortgage :)

Back