Is Ireland a low taxation economy?

Re: Darag, your last post was of absolutely no help.

All of the Des Bishop Shows were shot before the increase to €7.00. AKAIK Superquinn just paid more than other employers.

Yes he appears to have actually done the work for a month in each place and he did show all the payslips, but didn't get into whether or not there was emergency tax.

He made it clear on a few occasions that he did not get paid for days he was sick, so he had the double expense of paying for the health care, and not getting paid in work.

He also exposed some questionable practices like telling people their job included free food, and then taking the cost of food out of their earnings anyway. But if you're on the minimum wage I presume you don't really have much opportunity to challenge this kind of thing.

I don't know if he was entitled to get paid for sick days and holidays, I don't know if he was entitled to have his treatment and medication paid for, but he made it clear on more than one occasion that he was constantly being told by well off people that he was entitled to things that he just wasn't entitled to.

As for whether or not minimum wage workers can afford to get sick, well... if they can afford €70 per month for medication, plus whatever GP fees they have, then yes they can afford to get sick.

O's right the debate should be about whether those on the minimum wage should be in the tax net at all. I'd say no, but if they are then in return at the very least their GP costs and medication should be fully covered.

Can anyone confirm the following for me: If I go to a GP I may be asked to pay up to €50 for the visit, My last vist was €45 for a 5 minute visit with no prescription.

What's the story if I go to A&E? Is it cheaper? Is it free?
Is this the reason why A&E is overflowing?

For the record, I earn a hell of a lot more than the minimum wage, but after my last visit to a GP, I'd need to be passed out cold and carried into a GP's office to get me there.
So I can't imagine how someone just scrapping by manages.

-Rd

I don't know if he was entitled to get paid for sick days and holidays, I don't know if he was entitled to have his treatment and medication paid for, but he made it clear on more than one occasion that he was constantly being told by well off people that he was entitled to things that he just wasn't entitled to.

I haven't seen the show at all but I guess his statutory rights would differ depending on whether he was a part time or a full time employee:

www.entemp.ie/erir/empl2.htm

If I go to a GP I may be asked to pay up to €50 for the visit, My last vist was €45 for a 5 minute visit with no prescription.

Depends on your GP. Mine charged €35 last time I visited and nothing for follow up visits relating to the first.

What's the story if I go to A&E? Is it cheaper? Is it free?
Is this the reason why A&E is overflowing?

Presenting at A&E without referral costs €45 (with an in-patient/daycare charge of €45 per day subject to a maximum of €450 if applicable) in most cases:

As far as I know there is still a problem with people presenting at A&E with complaints which might merely warrant a visit to the local GP or health clinic.

Is there any difference in recovering the cost of A&R v's GP?

There must be some reason why people prefer to use the overcrowded A&E Dept's than simply call and make an appointment with a GP?

Is it the opening hours? Does A&E have more recent magazines in the waiting area?

-Rd

Is there any difference in recovering the cost of A&R v's GP?

A&R - I know that rock bands can claim artist's exemption on their income but that's about it. ;) However, assuming that you mean A&E I don't really understand the question...

What I mean is, if it costs €45 to attend A&E and probably less than that to attend a GP (mine was €45 but I've heard that's on the high side), then why are so many people choosing A&E over their GP?

Is there some advantage that I can't see? Is there some way of claiming back some or all of the €45 paid to A&E that you can't do if you go to a GP?

Can anyone explain why A&E is so popular?

Having been in A&E once for a genuine emergency, I can't imagine why anyone would find it preferable to a GP.

Is it just that there are a lot of people who don't have a family GP and can't be bothered getting one? Or is there a financial incentive?

-Rd

GPs vs. casualty

Hmmm, well they don't you there and then in the A&E, they don't have a cash register, they send you a bill.

So less pressure to pay.

If you have a medical card, both are free.

I suppose the answer is that if you break a leg, the A&E are going to be much better prepared for accidents, etc., whereas the GP is better for non-emergencies.

Also, take what happened to me, dog bit me on Basin St., off Thomas Street. Not based in Dublin, so know no GPs. Meanwhile, I fear rabies, etc. Very handy that the largest hospital in the State is nearby, so in I go to St. James' hospital A&E.

sorry geoffrey; are you telling me your question was
not rhetorical? you asked it two or three times in a manner
which suggested you were bursting to to make some point or
other. o.k. so i was in an irritable mood when i read your
questions, but sure enough, my sarcasm seems to have
prompted you forego your usually coy nature and actually
state your point regarding vat. i dunno about you, but i'd
prefer it if you just made whatever point it was you wanted
to make instead of repeating vacuous questions. it would
save me the effort of coming up with sarcastic comments
which takes a lot of effort i don't mind telling you.

Re: GPs vs. casualty

This is better than Footballers' Wives! :)

GP V's Casualty

I'm not convinced that all the people clogging up A&E are tourists or visitors from other parts of the country. And I don't believe that we have that many accidents and emergencies every day that ALL of the hospitals in Dublin should be overcrowded with 200 people on trolly's last week. If we have that many accidents then we have bigger problem than the health service.

There is something other than resources behind all this.

* Is it drink related late night accidents?
* Is it a financial issue for people?
* Is it that people can't be bothered to get a family gp?
* Are we the most accident prone nation on earth?

Also has anyone noticed that complaints about the Hanley report seem to center on downgrading A&E services, while the ministers response always seem to focus on centralising major services like Cardiac and cancer care.

Isn't there a middle ground? Centers of excellence for things like cardiac, cancer care etc, while maintaining and improving A&E services around the country to deal with patients immediately after an accident before moving them to a major hospital.

Comfort for people that treatment is available nearby, while getting all the benefits of multi-disciplinary centers of excellence.

As usual, I'm confused.

-Rd

Back