Is Household Benefits Package on Retirement only for over 70's.

I think you will find out they were payed away more tax when they were your age,

That does not justify these insane perks, the rich are now receiving.

These benefit packages should be means tested and def not be universal.

Is the Household Benefits package allowance added to your weekly state pension or paid to the Utility Company?
If you are a customer of Electric Ireland (electricity) or Bord Gais (gas), the payment is made directly to the utility.

If you are with other providers, it is paid to the applicant. Payment is made once per calender month.

That does not justify these insane perks, the rich are now receiving.

These benefit packages should be means tested and def not be universal.
I think free GP care for all over 70 only came into force in the last few years don't remember any outcry do you,

I think free GP care for all over 70 only came into force in the last few years don't remember any outcry do you,

No I wasn't here. Realistically speaking the current rate of state pensions and associated perks will not be sustainable as the population ages, I am sure there are several threads already on the subject so I don't want to derail.

No I wasn't here. Realistically speaking the current rate of state pensions and associated perks will not be sustainable as the population ages, I am sure there are several threads already on the subject so I don't want to derail.
I agree present Government need to put a plan in place the problem is vested interest both working and retired will have to lose some of there perks for it to work are holding it up ,

You can take it the longer it takes to sort out the future funding of state pensions the more it is going to cost to sort out in the long run people in all the key departments are all young enough Ministers so there is no point in pointing the finger any place else,

Last edited:
A couple with income of €49K (as stated above) is over the threshold/cut off point for Medical Card.

The older generation deserve every penny they're getting. For long enough they gave the younger people of today the platform to be educated and earn the good money they're being paid today.

The older generation deserve every penny they're getting. For long enough they gave the younger people of today the platform to be educated and earn the good money they're being paid today.
Very well said noproblem ,

working people now retired seen very high Payroll prsi up until 2012 19.1% in 1982 after the tax marches it came down to around 14.5% at present this is around the same as in Germany

when you get a chance see what the same level would have given you if you were out of work in Germany or retired,

Instead of whinging about people who are retired see what you would be getting if you were paying the same amount of PRSI in Germany and do something about it,
The people now retiring went out in 1982 and did something about it and the Government have not forget ,

No, full med card on approx 49k income.

Limit is 900 pw / 46,800.

Maybe their income was 47k that year, so maybe I'm a bit out, but I recall being surprised that they got it, as they were close to, or over, the limit.

If you are a customer of Electric Ireland (electricity) or Bord Gais (gas), the payment is made directly to the utility.

If you are with other providers, it is paid to the applicant. Payment is made once per calender month.

Thanks gipimann. Reliable as always. I have recently sent in the form to claim the Household benefits package. On it I stated that I was a customer of Bord Gais. I have now discovered that I have been paying way over the odds for my gas from Bord Gais and I am considering changing suppliers. The advice is to change suppliers every year when the contract comes up for renewal. How do the department of Social Welfare deal with people who keep changing suppliers?

Incidentally is it a fixed sum of money paid monthly? Even during the summer months when consumption may be lower?

Thanks gipimann. Reliable as always. I have recently sent in the form to claim the Household benefits package. On it I stated that I was a customer of Bord Gais. I have now discovered that I have been paying way over the odds for my gas from Bord Gais and I am considering changing suppliers. The advice is to change suppliers every year when the contract comes up for renewal. How do the department of Social Welfare deal with people who keep changing suppliers?

Incidentally is it a fixed sum of money paid monthly? Even during the summer months when consumption may be lower?

As far as I can recall, it's paid at the same amount each month.

The customer just has to notify the Department of a change of supplier. I haven't heard of any issues arising re same.

Back